early-mid 90's Camry's...do the gas filler doors just fall off???

Ok, at first I thought it was just a random accident that my neighbor had to have his gas filler door replaced on his camry. Then his wife's had to have it too, so I figured they were just idiots and had the same random accident twice(they're odd people). Then I noticed a LOT of Camry's around w/ primered or off color(junkyard) gas filler doors. So what's the deal? Is this some design flaw or fatigueing of material or something?

Ary

My 92 Camry still has it's factory gas filler door. :eek:

The little tabs that can hold the gas cap while fueling it up did break but that's no biggy.

I swear, it can't be the same Camry's 'cause I've seen them with this phenomenon in 3 different locales. Virginia Beach, Blacksburg, and the Washington metropolitan area. Hopefully someone can chime in and confirm my sanity...

Ary

If its anything like the cruiser gas doors the hinge is most likely sticking from rust and the tabs that are bent to hold the door on and act as the hinge are opening up and then the door is falling off . The cruisers dont do it as much since the door is used a little more offen ;)
The Cruiser :princess: 92 gas door was bent and not working too well when we got it and was ready to fall off . A little help from some PB Blaster worked on the rust ,fixed up the hinge then some silicone grease at the end to keep the water out . It been fine for 4 years now :grinpimp:

Top Bottom