Early manual brakes to manual GM master (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.birfield.com
It's raining outside and it blew my monentum.... Se here I am wasting time!

I have a 69 FJ55 and it had 4 wheel drum brakes... Barely enough to stop 37" tires. So, 4 wheel disk brakes are the hot ticket, right?

Heres is an FJ40 axle with FJ60 outers, a lockright, and bobby long inners. All trussed and brakelines ran. Took about 4 hours to swap it under the rig friday.
DSC04114.jpg

Here is the master cylinder. I used a manual master from a 73? corvette with 4WDB. I used two plates sandwiched together to adapt from the 3 bolt toyota pattern to the 2 bolt GM pattern. It turned out pretty good.
DSC04115.jpg

The brakes have a real good feel to them so far.... sitting in the driveway anyway. I used a set of 99? tacoma steel braided lines. They have 3 lines in the set, two of which have a banjo fitting, and a spot to attach a spring mid span. I'll use that to pull the excess line out of harms way when the axle is not drooping.

Next step is the rear disk brakes......
sliders.....
exhaust......
front driveshaft (hey, I could be doing that right now :doh: )

Whattayathink??
PMK

I have the same setup on my'40. Could not run booster because of the firewall rib and also ran into clearance problems with the carb(F). I did not think I could lock up the brakes with the manual master until a deerz ran out in front of me....no problem.
Do you have a prop valve?
I think the master is from a '74-'75.

Nice work!

Ed

Yea, I have an old 45, and cut the rib for a minitruck booster. BIG mistake - I hate it.
Proportioning valve, I'm going to hold off for a litlle while on that. The 55 may have enough wheelbase and weight in the rear to not need one... testing will be done.
Yea, rain sucks, bu it is warm out. Snow would really cramp my style.
PMK

Degnol said:
I have the same setup on my'40. Could not run booster because of the firewall rib and also ran into clearance problems with the carb(F). I did not think I could lock up the brakes with the manual master until a deerz ran out in front of me....no problem.
Do you have a prop valve?
I think the master is from a '74-'75.

Nice work!

Ed

Here is the master I used....
Corvette 054.jpg
Corvette 056.jpg

I'm thingking about using a Vette master know. Do you guys think that it would work with the large pistoned calipers from a V6 4runner for the front and drum rear and 35's? might use 33's can't decide yet.

did some serching and think i read some guys said 35's were to big. It might have been you Degnol. And also, this is for a 71 fj40.

I just converted to 4 wheel disks and used that same master.

I am really happy with the results, and I have not had the problem of having the rear brakes locking up on me that others have talked about. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom