Early lower dash pad on later model FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of restoring my current dash on my 76 FJ40 (too many holes and cut outs from PPO and PO).

I am trying to figure out how to cover the radio cut out or if I should get my body shop to metal patch and finish it. However, it would be nice if I could get the earlier model FJ40 lower dash pad to cover the hole so I can just forget about it. Does anyone know if the FJ40dash.com lower dash pad for an earlier model 40 will fit on my later model?

As most everyone is aware, the lower dash for the earlier model 40 is two pieces and the lower dash pad for the later models is three pieces allowing a gap for the radio cut out

Why not just do a OEM style radio delete plate?

Thanks for the reply! While that is a nice option, the PO opened up the hole more than standard, so that wouldn’t fit (Plus I don’t want to look at the hole anymore or a blank covering it. My options are covering it up or having it filled in by my body shop

The answer to your question is yes, it can be done. I did one for Billy the bartender from Santa Barbara with a ‘77 about 25 years ago. It was an unusual request, but at the time I had both the time and the materials to do the job.

You will need to weld in the radio hole as part of the program. Otherwise you can guarantee the pad will slump or pucker over time.

What is different about the pad? Can I order an earlier model lower dash pad from fjdash.com and simply install or are there other modifications involved?

Mark will know for sure but I believe the mounting post on the pads are in a different locations. I can check after this down pour...

What is different about the pad? Can I order an earlier model lower dash pad from fjdash.com and simply install or are there other modifications involved?

the early lower pads went all the way from the steering column to the passenger door, 1 piece
the later ones were a multi piece for clearance at the radio opening

I understand that and maybe didn’t do a good enough job explaining that in my first post. I am wanting the longer pad from the earlier model to fit on my later model in order to cover the radio cut out hole

I understand that and maybe didn’t do a good enough job explaining that in my first post. I am wanting the longer pad from the earlier model to fit on my later model in order to cover the radio cut out hole

as Mark stated above the radio opening will need to be closed up so the pad can be connected in that location so it doesn't sag.

Just a quick check seems to show most of the post in the same location.
I just compared a newer pad with the holes on my 9/69, (1970). The pad is approx. 2 1/2 inches where it would cover the radio. The stock radio hole is approx. 2 inches high. Guess it depends on how much was cut out on whether the older style pad would cover it. The one piece pads has two mounting post that line up with the radio slot.....So,
I agree with the above, best to have that hole filled then the older style one piece would work.

as Mark stated above the radio opening will need to be closed up so the pad can be connected in that location so it doesn't sag.

Okay, I’ll weld in a plate there and fix that up, but does anyone know if the prongs in the earlier model lower dash pad that connect to the dash are in the same place as the later model pad?

does anyone know if the prongs in the earlier model lower dash pad that connect to the dash are in the same place as the later model pad?

did you read @Shark56 post above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom