early hub depository (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Threads
everyone knows about aisan hubs and there's a lot of info on the warns, so this thread is for everything else. this will be a bit of a pandoras box as hubs were manufactured by one company and sold under another company, or one company started it and another bought them out. a lot of the old companies have no info on the web.

i'll start out with the rare (becuase they were crap?) although commonly used on early 60s cruisers, husky hubs. litp will probably chime in here. iirc, that's who got annie's huskys. they were made by the husky corporation out of longmont colorado. early toyota literature will sometimes show cruisers with husky hubs.

husky manufactured two hubs early on, the external with the lever that broke is the more common of the two.
husky advert.jpg
husky advert b.jpg
husky intallation.jpg
husky instructions.jpg
husky parts list.jpg

images of external husky hubs, one showing the potmetal handle that breaks and the last picture showing one mounted minus the chrome cover that goes over the top
husky hubs 1962.jpg
huskyhub.jpg
DSC04706.JPG

here is an image of the other option with the husky name and the sears branded version.

two odd things here are the fact that husky is in longmont, where dualmatic was located, and the hub body is similar to a dualmatic, being a solid, untapered plain body. there will be more correlation later

someone here on mud pointed out the oddity that the hub locks in the opposite direction.
husky all state hubs.jpg
husky hub body.jpg
allstate sears.jpg
sears allstate hub catalog.JPG

we'll move on to the one i probably should've started with, cutlas power-lock hubs. not common on cruisers, but common on jeeps and possibly a predecessor or inspiration for the dualmatic, which is common on cruisers. this was a spinning barrel style locking hub that required a tool, or when lost, "a screwdriver or coin". cutlas also made a less common knob style hub. i had a picture somewhere, but i can't find it.

i've heard that cutlas hubs were made in also made in longmont and lakewood colorado and the cutlas gear company out of vinton, ia, but all definitive info i can find is it was the cutlas tool and manufacturing company out of lyons, illinois.

cutlas power lock.jpg
power lock.jpg
cutlass internals.jpg
IPBCcutlass2.jpg

now we'll move onto what got me started. the dualmatic from longmont, colorado. this is a "cam and lever" design patented by charles simonsen of longmont in 1958, believed to have been the founder of dualmatic.
instructions.jpg
wards catalog.JPG
dualmatic ad.jpg
new dualmatics c.JPG
new dualmatics.JPG

in addition to hubs, dualmatic also made tops. if anyone recognizes the name dualmatic, they think of bestop, because sometime in the 70s wynn international bought dualmatic and in 82 merged it with bestop under the division of winn automotive products. rumor is that today, bestop will not acknowledge dualmatic at all.

i couldn't find an exact date of when winns bought dualmatic outside of "the 70s", but a lot of trademarks went in for dualmatic between 77-79 for logos representing the hubs, soft tops, steering stabilizers, lights and more. coincidentally, all that stuff was available from bestop in the 80s, which would be when the companies were merged.

the 6spline hub appears to be part number 11010 and i believe was blue with a blue label on cruisers. it was also available in black body with blue label and black body with black label, which i haven't seen in patina on cruisers. they were made in multiple grades, including 5 ton military, color may pertain to that, but i'm not sure. and no clue as to when the label colors changed.

there are other differences noted also, this site does a good job with examples http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/hubs/index.html.

logo-73135203.jpg
images.jpg
logo-73135204.jpg
dualmatic-73179334.jpg

cam differences
dual-o-matic hub 2.jpg
DSC09144.JPG
hub1.jpg
new cruiser dualmatics e.JPG
cam differences

labels and colors. the only place i've seen the red sticker is this one and it was a cutaway to show how the hub worked. for restoration purposes, one of the jeep guys has found that rustoleum mettalic cobalt blue appears to be a match for the oe blue. same jeep guy believes that the blue body was the earliest color, with black bodies coming later. no clue on the unpainted. one might guess the same on the labels
black label black hub dodge.JPG
new cruiser black hub blue label.JPG
red sticker.jpg
new dualmatics b.JPG
new rover dualmatic.JPG

Last edited:
note above, the dash sticker is reflective, there was also a blue/white non reflective (which aatlas reprod, along with the blue hub stickers) that i believe is more period correct as i've seen three instances of well worn blue white dash stickers and have only seen the reflective sticker in nos applications
DSC04889.JPG

other variations not used on cruisers include a single lever that turns a gear which turns four of the cams, four/six/eight lever lever/cam 8lever). there's also a flush top.
dualmatic single lever hub.jpg
wtf dualmatics b.jpg
wtf dualmatics.jpg
six lever a.jpg
flush top.jpg
(couldn't find a pic of an

and now for the freakish never seen. this is for a chevy application.
chevy dualmatics a.JPG
chevy dualmatics b.JPG
chevy dualmatics c.JPG
chevy dualmatics d.JPG
chevy dualmatics e.JPG

and back to cruiser specifics and muddying the box...dualmatics and husky and selectro.....

everyone knows selectro, but they don't know husky was the original company that marketed the selectro. or that dualmatic manufactured them for husky.
dualmatic selectro ins b.JPG
dualmatic selectro.JPG
dualmatic selectro b.JPG
husky selectro instructions.jpg
selectro dualmatic b.JPG

dualmatic also made them for everybody (i suspect all this manufacturing under multiple names was tied in with the whole winn acquisition)
b & m selectro.jpg
ih selectros.JPG
powertrain selectro.JPG
perfect circle.jpg
4wd.jpg

and let's not forget the stores...sears was a common carrier of the selectro, but iirc, monkey wards had their branded selectros too. i'll end with the dualmatic/husky/selectro/whomever else there is here, since we know a bit about selectros from elsewhere on the sight, but if you have another otherbranded selectro, post it up.
sears selectro.jpg
sears.jpg

but we can also point out that other hub styles were whored out too...here's the warn hub being rebranded
avm warn.jpg
milemarker warn.jpg
slectro warn.jpg
28739.jpg
lom.jpg

may as well toss in couple of oddball hubs i came across while researching this...
the denver freelock, which is apparently common on military stuff and hub lok that i can't find anything on (to be honest, i didnt' look all that hard )
FreeLock2.JPG
hub lok.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom