Early FJ40 Rear Window "Toyota" Decal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I broke down and got my 1969 FJ40 (8/68 production) repainted inside and out and replaced all glass seals and rubber pads. I missed a summer of fishing in the mountains but the result is worth it. Since the FJ has been in the family from the beginning, everything is original and I am trying to keep it that way. My model year has a "TOYOTA" decal (gold capital letters with black outline) on the inside of the rear glass window (photo attached). The sun has taken its toll on the decal and I would like to replace it, but I cannot find an OEM or aftermarket replacement. Does anyone know if this decal was on all 1968-1969 FJ40s, or if maybe the local Toyota dealer applied it? Either way, does anyone know where I can find a replacement decal?
Rear Window Decal Photo.jpg

Could have been a dealer installed decal but never seen where Toyota installed a decal on the rear hatch glass. Lower left corner has a Toyota emblem below the reverse light and above the 4 wheel drive emblem.

Might be able to find a local sign shop or seller on Etsy to remake that for you.

Should be pretty easy. Just need to give an overall size and thickness of the black outline.

Thanks everyone. After your comments I did some quick research. 1969 was the first year Toyota dealerships opened in Texas (Toyota started dealerships in California in 1957). I went with my Dad to the dealership in Haltom City/Fort Worth when he bought the FJ40 in early 1969. I suspect the dealer or Gulf States Toyota (the importer at Houston port) applied the decal as part of the marketing introduction of the Toyota brand to the Gulf States region. This also explains why my 8/68 FJ has a first generation "California" smog pump -- only one version sent to USA at that time. . Good thing this FJ was quickly moved to Colorado -- no rust! I will get out the razor blade today and remove the "TOYOTA" decal.

Last edited:
No, no, no.....don’t scape it off....it’s part of the history....I would do everting I could to preserve what’s left of it. When I resorted my 68 I cleaned and improved the 70’s vintage mods to PO’s had done. It adds to the “cool” factor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom