Early fj steering wheel restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What’s wrong w/ this picture?
And it doesn’t include the horn button!
676A0570-EB5B-48C2-85E9-0FF30A3E03F9.png

Guess you are not charging enough Jimmy :rofl:
On the description they say there’s a guy who sells cheap spray painted wheels for 800 dollars. I guess I’ll start throwing them up on eBay also. Have a mud price and an eBay price.

If you have a cracked 72 and earlier steering wheel and want it restored, I'm on my 4th now my avitar is my second one. You pay shipping both ways and I'll have it done in two weeks. I would like to do two more and I think I will have it mastered. So if you want me to restore yours just get in touch. I use PC-7 epoxy to repair the cracks it tolerates heat & cold (expansion & contraction) best and hours of sanding with up to 2500 grit paper. If you want more pics of my work contact me.
James in Oklahoma
Great job. I have done thousands of steering wheel repairs over a 40 year span. If you don’t mind I can offer a few tips to improve and save you money. The first step before anything is a good cleaning with dawn and warm water. Let it dry 100%. Depending on weather it could take days. I got the best results putting wheel in oven at lowest sitting for a few minutes at a time, for obvious reasons. Wax and grease remove and let the fun begin. You have already found an epoxy that works, don’t change it if it works for you. Prep steps after repairs. I would 80 grit in a cabinet all areas that are not repaired, but you can go 100 or 180 grit by hand finish with 220 grit depending on how soft substrate (steeering wheel) is. Wax and grease. Epoxy primer! Etching primer is for bridges and is over priced garbage. Ask me how I know… Epoxy primer flex properties are superior and will bond to ANY surface, so if your spraying in your garage cover everything including the floor! It also gives you a wet on wet window. Meaning you don’t have to sand again. Within that epoxy window spray two coats of 2k urethane primer. If you don’t already, spray a suitable guide coat. Opposite color of primer. This would be the blocking stage in body restoration step. Start with 180 and work down to 220 if needed. After all imperfections are gone one more round of 2k urathane primer. 400 wet sand, or 320 dry. Used 320 is best. Your ready for paint. Wax and gease, tack if off. I prefer to epoxy for a final seal than proceed to paint, only if your going follow my next bit of advice. Here is where you can really save money. Use single stage urathane. Ceracoat is an amazing product, but you can’t get it to the correct gloss and is pricey. I highly recommend Orion brand products. Not only do you get a superior product at a substantial savings over ppg, but the customer service is the best, hands down. With single stage you get superior finish and flex that is needed in a steering wheel. Plus if you sign your name (runs) or an insect decides this is a great place to land, it’s an easy fix! In all the years I’ve done these I’ve never had a return. The picture I have is for a 69 daodge dart. They are notorious for cracking and flex much more than any fj wheel. The last picture is off the gun to show the finish you can achieve. Hopefully I have given you some tips that help. Not here to steal your work, I can’t do the work anymore do to health issues. Which is why I am offering my help.

26619C61-1B34-4E27-BA96-57A49EDB931D.jpeg

1367881A-AB37-4F8B-A584-AD1B5D886465.jpeg

CD40C3F5-B87F-4867-B9A1-7E321E106B21.jpeg

Great job. I have done thousands of steering wheel repairs over a 40 year span. If you don’t mind I can offer a few tips to improve and save you money. The first step before anything is a good cleaning with dawn and warm water. Let it dry 100%. Depending on weather it could take days. I got the best results putting wheel in oven at lowest sitting for a few minutes at a time, for obvious reasons. Wax and grease remove and let the fun begin. You have already found an epoxy that works, don’t change it if it works for you. Prep steps after repairs. I would 80 grit in a cabinet all areas that are not repaired, but you can go 100 or 180 grit by hand finish with 220 grit depending on how soft substrate (steeering wheel) is. Wax and grease. Epoxy primer! Etching primer is for bridges and is over priced garbage. Ask me how I know… Epoxy primer flex properties are superior and will bond to ANY surface, so if your spraying in your garage cover everything including the floor! It also gives you a wet on wet window. Meaning you don’t have to sand again. Within that epoxy window spray two coats of 2k urethane primer. If you don’t already, spray a suitable guide coat. Opposite color of primer. This would be the blocking stage in body restoration step. Start with 180 and work down to 220 if needed. After all imperfections are gone one more round of 2k urathane primer. 400 wet sand, or 320 dry. Used 320 is best. Your ready for paint. Wax and gease, tack if off. I prefer to epoxy for a final seal than proceed to paint, only if your going follow my next bit of advice. Here is where you can really save money. Use single stage urathane. Ceracoat is an amazing product, but you can’t get it to the correct gloss and is pricey. I highly recommend Orion brand products. Not only do you get a superior product at a substantial savings over ppg, but the customer service is the best, hands down. With single stage you get superior finish and flex that is needed in a steering wheel. Plus if you sign your name (runs) or an insect decides this is a great place to land, it’s an easy fix! In all the years I’ve done these I’ve never had a return. The picture I have is for a 69 daodge dart. They are notorious for cracking and flex much more than any fj wheel. The last picture is off the gun to show the finish you can achieve. Hopefully I have given you some tips that help. Not here to steal your work, I can’t do the work anymore do to health issues. Which is why I am offering my help.

View attachment 3235844

View attachment 3235845

View attachment 3235846
Thanks for the tips.

I have some openings this month, call or text me.

Is the black center ring and the plastic piece in the middle available to replace? Is that an option you offer?

Is the black center ring and the plastic piece in the middle available to replace? Is that an option you offer?
A friend is getting ready to try to print some of the plastic pieces and I have a few of the metal rings.

I just got my wheel back from @Birdhead last week and it is absolutely stunning. I am no where near the point of my restoration that I am in need of my steering wheel, but I didn’t want to wait to only find out that he no longer re does them, like @Rainman and the brake lines. So I went ahead and sent mine to him and I am blown away by his work. Great guy to work with and he’s a local Oklahoman like myself. If you are in need of steering wheel repair, @Birdhead is your guy.
A22CC5D0-DB85-4E5C-89B9-29C9291A84EC.jpeg
383444A7-3804-4E17-9740-6707145D91B9.jpeg
3F6863FD-F04D-429C-8674-FE669FFDA7B6.jpeg

Jimmy, I sent you a text.

I just got my wheel back from @Birdhead last week and it is absolutely stunning. I am no where near the point of my restoration that I am in need of my steering wheel, but I didn’t want to wait to only find out that he no longer re does them, like @Rainman and the brake lines. So I went ahead and sent mine to him and I am blown away by his work. Great guy to work with and he’s a local Oklahoman like myself. If you are in need of steering wheel repair, @Birdhead is your guy.
View attachment 3262083View attachment 3262084View attachment 3262085
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom