Early fj steering wheel restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I keep an eye out for cheap wheels for parts all the time, I’ll start looking for a cheap one if I don’t have the parts.
I have been going through my parts and found a few, that seems to be a common problem. I’m going to check w/ a friend and see if he can make a batch of them, that way when I restore the later model wheels I can put new ones in.

Just finished a few centerpieces, cutting a perfect circle to get the chrome/paint line is a 50/50 shot on if I got it right.lol. If you have any wheels or wheel hardware taking up space, call me.

65BB7DD5-F583-47DA-901D-5061DC31D06A.jpeg

I will have a few 69-72/40 wheels restored in the next week or two contact if interested.

Have you found a solution for broken spring/contact rings? I know there were some in the works from a secondary source.

hOOter

Do you also restore newer steering wheels? Have a ‘76 that needs some love.

Have you found a solution for broken spring/contact rings? I know there were some in the works from a secondary source.

hOOter
Check the bottom of page 13, I just finished a couple.

I can now rechrome early FJ horn buttons.

3A6B15EF-5778-4D94-A80E-6BB7C24534BF.jpeg

Better pic

84D644C8-4153-424B-8F46-0E1697B29165.jpeg

75$ plus the ride

This is one I'm working on now. It had some cracks in the circumference of the hub which is a 1st for me (that's why I'm doing some for free). You can see I used green primer on my first two primes and black on the third. Every time I sand/prime I find a repairable spot. I think I got it all on this one, should prime and first coat tomorrow. FYI I talked to the cerakote company today and they seemed to think using the air dry cerakote would be best because of the UV protection it offers. I'm going to buy a cerakote set up next week so I can try this. I'll keep updating.

View attachment 1401733

View attachment 1401734

View attachment 1401736

View attachment 1401737

View attachment 1401738
Was this wheel resplined for another column? Do you know? Thanks!

It’s a 76 steering wheel with the blue emblem in the center. The central 3 “spokes” are starting to get a bit crumbly
I can do those and there are some pics a few pages back, if the trumpets are worn down they’re really hard to repaint, so new horn buttons w/ trumpets may be necessary, if they’re on there.

Was this wheel resplined for another column? Do you know? Thanks!
I don’t think so, 68 and before have 36 splines and up to 72 have 33, I thin, that’s from memory.

Do you use anything special to get that rubber/vinyl center pad looking new like that?

There are some really good products for the vinyl if you’re talking the center button with the T logo.
I was doing some research on reconditioning vinyl and rubber and I kept finding spearmint oil or something like that. It seemed to be pretty good for gaskets and o-rings for older vehicles and stuff.

mom working on my steering Wheel right now and polished the center button with stuff that’s like what you use on headlight refreshing. Just a very light abrasive/polish.
Still have to try a few things to refresh the center button but-that’s what I’ve run into.

Do you use anything special to get that rubber/vinyl center pad looking new like that?

He might be using black vinyl paint which is pretty good actually- I’ve used it on motorcycle seats and it’s surprisingly good and durable.

since you’ll know- I’m going to make a center cap out of Koa wood and insert the T into it. Also going to make a Koa shift knob for the H55 and t case shifters. Pretty excited for that. 🤙🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom