Early driveshaft hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I went to change out my driveshaft nuts and bolts when it struck me,
what year did toyota change driveshaft bolt diameter? Was it the middle of 1968 with all of the other changes that went on?

Anyone have a part number for the driveshaft hardware that would have came on a 1968? Fj55 if it makes any difference. They have a 12mm head instead of the 14mm, and a much smaller shoulder diameter than later driveshaft bolts.

The bolt size changed in January of 1969, as did the front turn signals. Not only are the bolts smaller, but the shoulder is not quite long enough to support both the driveshaft AND pinion flange.

Many people who have the 68 and older cruisers have chosen to drill out the flanges to accept larger bolts that are fully shouldered. I have seen them go with both 69-74 Toyota bolts and with SAE stuff.

On my 68, the PO did not do a good job of keeping the bolts tight. Consequently, the holes in the flanges were quite a bit less than round. :eek: Consequently, no matter what I did, I could not keep those bolts tight. Ended up changing all the flanges over to the 69-74 model.

On my 64 and 65 FJ45s, still have the 8mm bolts and no problems with them. :bounce:

I had the same problem with my 68, the bolts on the flange at the rear axle were always coming loose. I switched to SAE bolts and the lock nut with the nylon ring. Haven't had a problem since, been over ten years.

John

Living in the Past said:
I had the same problem with my 68, the bolts on the flange at the rear axle were always coming loose. I switched to SAE bolts and the lock nut with the nylon ring. Haven't had a problem since, been over ten years.

John

John, do you remember what size bolts you used, in case snaiwagon wants to take that route?

You guys have got me thinking that I should go thru some of the old reference manuals for a bolt with a longer shoulder. Hmmm.

I used 5/16 x 1" Grade 8 bolts. I used a fully threaded version, did not
look for a version with shoulders.

65swb45 said:
The bolt size changed in January of 1969, as did the front turn signals. Not only are the bolts smaller, but the shoulder is not quite long enough to support both the driveshaft AND pinion flange...

Hmmm.... That is exactly what I want to hear... I am going to update the old Trails article that I have linked on my site. So 1/69' they changed from the 8mm?

No problems with drilling out the flanges? I have extra hardware that I purchased for my 74 a year or so ago from toyota (had the 3spd). The flanges are not damaged yet, the cheesy grade 4 non shouldered bolts that are randomly placed throughout have been taking the beating, reason #1 to get rid of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom