Early clutch master cylinder question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

My clutch hydraulics on my early '65 are in need of rebuild (see here). I successfully serviced the slave with the rebuild kit from Kurt at CruiserOutfitters (which is identical to a 1986 supra as it happens). It looks like my master cylinder is also in need of a rebuild since it is spitting out about a teaspoon of fluid on my foot with every press of the pedal. I'm having a terribly hard time finding a rebuild for my early MC. It looks like late '66 and up are abundant.

My question is:

Will a later MC rebuild kit work and/or can I use a complete '66 or later MC as a replacement and just have a new hard line made?

Here is my MC:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DF6il6L9m5Y/UsCvtboiMVI/AAAAAAAAH2A/RndaelYkKr4/s640/IMG_3800.jpg

I understand later MCs have the line exit out the driver's side.

That should be the same as yours.
Really? I was under the impression that after 9/66 they changed designs slightly to an MC with a fitting on the side instead of coming out the front. I guess it won't hurt to see if the kit Kurt has will work or not.

I guess I'll try it and see.

If it doesn't work, can I just use a post 9/66 MC with my slave and call it good?

with a little work you can swap the whole thing over to newer stuff thats easier to get parts for.

Definitely not the same:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qDuvdQ5IaLs/Ushk548XNVI/AAAAAAAAH2o/PaqFq56-Jpg/s640/IMG_3850.JPG

The kit on the top is 9/'66 and later. The bottom was what came out of my early '65.
:frown:

Do you still have the 65 parts out and accessible for measurements? I think I may have an option but need to know the length and diameter of the piston and associated parts. 90% confident (without having them here in front of me) that the brake master cylinder kit of the same vintage will actually fit/work just fine. So BMK35014

cruiseroutfit said:
Do you still have the 65 parts out and accessible for measurements? I think I may have an option but need to know the length and diameter of the piston and associated parts. 90% confident (without having them here in front of me) that the brake master cylinder kit of the same vintage will actually fit/work just fine. So BMK35014

You are correct Kurt I was able to use a brake master rebuild kit on the clutch master on my '62

I don't have it out now but another mudder is giving me his old MC. When I get that in, I'll measure and post what I find for future reference. It's a good idea.

VERY interesting: I had the same prob with my documented 67. My 67 has the older style (bottom pic), and I don't believe the cylinder was ever changed out, so I am thinking maybe older parts left over on the factory shelves were used until they actually ran out, who knows.

Anyhow, I ordered and rec'd the same exact upper kit in the pic: NO way its the same

Anyway, the way I finally fixed my leak was that I just honed out the inside of the cylinder slightly with 1200 grit sand paper and cleaned out everything. When I put it back together, with no new parts, it no longer leaked.

Not the preferred fix, but this post has me wondering: How long was the earlier cylinder actually used after 66, and where can one buy the correct (bottom pic) rebuild parts?

You are correct Kurt I was able to use a brake master rebuild kit on the clutch master on my '62

Sweet, I'm 95% sure I did the same on my '66 but I need to check my notes. As soon as we verify the measurements, I'm calling it a good fit :cool:

...Not the preferred fix, but this post has me wondering: How long was the earlier cylinder actually used after 66, and where can one buy the correct (bottom pic) rebuild parts?

It was used through 8/66, with the new style starting in 9/66. As with many things early Toyota (and current Toyota) there is overlap and if your plus or minus a month or two, best verify with pics/measurement. See above about rebuild kits, our BMK35014K should fit. I may pop my 66 apart just to be sure that is what I used and measure if one of you doesn't have measurements sooner.

I shipped you my old clutch master today with FedEx. I also through in my old brake master from my 65. It worked fine I just switched over to power brakes.

You should be back on the road soon!

I shipped you my old clutch master today with FedEx. I also through in my old brake master from my 65. It worked fine I just switched over to power brakes. You should be back on the road soon!
I can hardly wait! It's been too long since I've taken her out. Granted, most of the time out of commission was spent getting married and on a honeymoon but, still!

Confirmed the kits will work and we have updated all our reference material to match. I actually have a couple of SOR clutch master 'minor' kits still left (they are discontinued) and sure enough all the parts measure out the same. Furthermore, I check the notes on my wife's 45, we installed the BMK35014K in both cylinders. It's a fit :cool:

Confirmed the kits will work and we have updated all our reference material to match. I actually have a couple of SOR clutch master 'minor' kits still left (they are discontinued) and sure enough all the parts measure out the same. Furthermore, I check the notes on my wife's 45, we installed the BMK35014K in both cylinders. It's a fit :cool:
So, on early FJ25 master cylinders what kits do I need for both to rebuild?

Screenshot_20180818-213023_Photo Editor.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom