Early Center Arm Partial Rebuild Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 69 FJ40 has the early center arm. It has a ton of play in it. It’s probably never been replaced. I have looked and looked online and all I can find is the partial rebuild kit from SOR. I have seen mixed reviews. Some say you can’t fix them. Some say you can. Has anyone used this partial rebuild kit with good results? Thanks

My 69 FJ40 has the early center arm. It has a ton of play in it. It’s probably never been replaced. I have looked and looked online and all I can find is the partial rebuild kit from SOR. I have seen mixed reviews. Some say you can’t fix them. Some say you can. Has anyone used this partial rebuild kit with good results? Thanks

The main shaft is NLA. If you need that , used is around, NOS is rare. If that part is good, the partial kit is fine. The part that is NLA has some give. There are bronze bushings and an adjustment system built in to the center arm. All will be self evident when taken apart. I believe adjustment with new seals will be fine.

The main shaft is NLA. If you need that , used is around, NOS is rare. If that part is good, the partial kit is fine. The part that is NLA has some give. There are bronze bushings and an adjustment system built in to the center arm. All will be self evident when taken apart. I believe adjustment with new seals will be fine.
The bottom has a ton of wobble when you turn the steering wheel. I’m going to take it apart this evening.

The bottom has a ton of wobble when you turn the steering wheel. I’m going to take it apart this evening.
Best thing to do. There is a nut that can be tightened as wear occurs. One problem could be it was never maintained and driving as it gets loose just continues wear. A new shaft may be needed if that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom