“Early Bronco – Not FJ-40, Jeep 4x4” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
“Early Bronco – Not FJ-40, Jeep 4x4”

I was looking around for an early Bronco and that was the the heading for the ad. I said to myself… “self, wonder what a FJ-40 is?” Typed in "fj-40" in the search on eBay and that’s how I was introduced to the early LandCruisers and all of you sick, crazed people who adore these things. That little deceptive eBay listing started a year long odyssey and new found appreciation for a really cool truck.

Didn't know a damn thing about these trucks. They are like the trucks you see on Animal Planet with dudes in it chasing lions in Africa -- Or a bunch of crazed locals hanging out the back with AK-47’s and RPG’s in the Middle East. On a whim, I bid on a “clean looking” truck never thinking I would actually win and a week later I get on of those congratulation emails from eBay. How the hell was I gonna explain this one to the wife?

Two weeks later it showed up. It looked cool and sound - in the Ebay ad and FROM ABOUT 30 FEET AWAY! -Needless to say, I’ve learned a LOT about these since then. I am the second "real owner" and can trace the ownership back to the original dealer. Pretty clean however considering its age. After I learned a little more about fj40's, I think that I paid a fair price for it.

THANKS to all of you demented 40 owners on this board, over on pirate and elsewhere. With out your help and inspiration, I would have never gotten this thing going. Over the next couple of days I will post a few "before and after" photo's with a few other build up pictures and lessons that I've learned sprinkled in. Hopefully someone else will benefit from these posts as I have from all of yours. I'll mention people who helped along the way and people to avoid. Thanks again all! Many pics to follow.

Before:

old_front1.jpg

old_rear1.jpg

old_inside1.jpg

I'm working on the doors now and they should be done this weekend. After with a few things yet to go:

new_front1.jpg

new_rear1.jpg

new_inside1.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. I've have mine a lot longer with less results. How much have you done on your own v. farming work out?

John Smith said:
Looks amazing but get rid of the zip ties on the heater hoses. It makes your otherwise pristine truck look ghetto.
Ha! Yep. Zip ties are right up there with pull tops for beer and zippers. Great invention. I'm in the process of re-zincing most of my fastners including the hose clamps. I have a few new but some of the small ones are not available new any longer. They will go on there soon. :flipoff2:

Mr. Toad said:
Nice job. Wanna do mine?
Nope! I am still getting over chemical burns, wire wheel scrapes (still pulling wire out of my hands and clothes) and the por 15 is finally wearing off of my skin. After my doors are done, my wife has me for the next few years doing her list. :crybaby:

Benson said:
Damn. I've have mine a lot longer with less results. How much have you done on your own v. farming work out?
Did it all myself minus some welding in new rear sill and painting the tub. Farmed that out to a Toyota dealer in Savannah. Chatham Toyota/Lexus. THey did AWESOME work (pics coming). The GM of the Toyota/Lexus
dealership is a member of this board (jimm0921) and turned me on to their body shop. I did a bunch of "simple" welding like fixing the tail light brackets (can't get new and finding used ones near impossible!), couple of door tack welds, and a pile of other minor stuff. I can do most stuff but I could never get welding down to where it was acceptable to me.

The neighborhood kids helped put the tub on and off (about 100 times) and even had my better half turning a wrench now and then!

HawkDriver said:
Cool man, was the blue the original paint? I'd a kept it blue.

Yep, it was blue. It was a tough decision! I changed to to Coranado Beige which was a correct color for the 68. My daughter picked the color out for the 68 model year. I painted every single piece of the truck. Not a spot of blue left anywhere except for one piece. It is painted with single stage Acrylic Enamel so it retains the rather "bland" look of colors of that era.

Last bit of old blue :crybaby:
lastbitofcolor.jpg

I have not found a paint code tag on the truck (AFAIK the 68's didn't have a color code tag) so changing it was less painful.

CruisinGA... I'm in Savannah

Last edited:
The more I learned more and more "stock" stuff became apparent. Some cool old stuff...

Clear Horn Relay Cover
hornrelay.jpg

Glass Fuel Filter
fuelfilter.jpg

Original Warranty Card from the dealer. I think it's cool.
warrantycard.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom