Early '80s BJ45 Transfer Case Gearing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I've done a lot of searching but can't find the information I'm looking for. I'm planning on installing the drum parking brake split transfer case from an early '80s BJ45 (European) behind the H41 from an '84 HJ47 (Australian). I'm trying to decide between the stock transfer case gears (along with 4.11 coarse spline differentials) or the Sumo 3:1 gears from Cruiser Outfitters (along with 3.70 fine spline differentials). I'm having trouble finding the BJ45 stock transfer gear ratios to plug into my crawl ratio spreadsheet so I can compare. Does anyone know the answer or know where I can find the answer?

I'm thinking I can count the teeth on the gears and calculate the ratio myself if I have to. Any tips on how to do the math would be appreciated.

I looked at the Europe BJ45 and Australian HJ47 diagrams, they show the same idler gear being used. Both show a change 10/82 but later number is a sub for the 8/80-9/82. I have found parts that have the same number on them getting a new number 10/82 when the H55F five speed started. :meh:

I forgot to mention the transfer case has the 5th gear oiler provisions, which should date it to post-10/82, right?

I forgot to mention the transfer case has the 5th gear oiler provisions, which should date it to post-10/82, right?

That is correct. Does it had a date code on the back by the PTO cover? If not there how about the top where it bolts to the transmission? Exception seems to be replacement transfer cases that have only numbers so can't date them.

It's pretty easy to figure out the ratios ….... they're either roughly 2:1 or 2.3:1
Put the transmission in 4th gear, T-case in low. Turn the trans input one full rotation and count the rotations of the output flange on the t-case.

We have the factory e-brake parts in stock along with the rebuild kits and all the Sumo gear sets.

Georg

Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

209-475-8808

Just like Jethro Bodine, I did some cipherin' using the tooth count. 34/45= 0.756, 0.756X27=20.412, 40/20.412=1.959.

So it's 1.959:1.

That is correct. Does it had a date code on the back by the PTO cover? If not there how about the top where it bolts to the transmission? Exception seems to be replacement transfer cases that have only numbers so can't date them.
4J3175, so October 1984. Makes sense because I believe the transfer case was mated to an H55f in the '85 BJ45.

4J3175, so October 1984. Makes sense because I believe the transfer case was mated to an H55f in the '85 BJ45.
Unless it was added it was.probably mated to a H41. The hand brake on the rear axle was short and mid wheel base. Long wheel base hand brake was on the transfer case. Because Toyota standardized the 40 series in 79 the fuel tank and torque tube were in the way of a H55F and transfer with a hand brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom