Early 80 series gotchas a this age? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not really, someone will buy for 4.5K, cause i rather spend 4.5K on a rig than 4.5K on replacing a HG if its a 93+ :cool:
Your hate for 1FZ and love for the 3FE is clear and not relevant; your experience is though. Looking at this rig objectively, it isn't worth 4.5k 3FE or 1FZ. There's too many red flags surrounding this thing and I believe the OP already decided to run the other way. Which is the right move....especially because it's a 3FE:flipoff2:

Your hate for 1FZ and love for the 3FE is clear and not relevant; your experience is though. Looking at this rig objectively, it isn't worth 4.5k 3FE or 1FZ. There's too many red flags surrounding this thing and I believe the OP already decided to run the other way. Which is the right move....especially because it's a 3FE:flipoff2:
Yep, i hate 3FE haters on MUD and now i am just having a blast on here especially now it is MY turn to contribute. Dont worry, its all fun and game =-)
BTW...your not a 3FE hater are you??? :cool:
Edit: I know most 3FE haters on here, and they dont sit well in my stomach and vice versa =)

Last edited:
Yep, i hate 3FE haters on MUD and now i am just having a blast on here especially now it is MY turn to contribute. Dont worry, its all fun and game =-)
Edit: I know most 3FE haters on here, and they dont sit well in my stomach and vice versa =)
I hate you because I didn't get to drive the FD RX-7 you had back in the day...

Fwiw, I did walk away, but not because of the engine. I actually liked the way it drove. Sure, a was a bit more tractor like, but it was good, and I found it pleasant enough to drive.

We have a different issue that I was anticipating (I'm only 5'-10") - my son is over 6' and he didn't have enough leg room, so it wasn't going to work out. Combined with other factors, it just wasn't the right "fit" (haha).

If it was half the price, I would have bought it for a trail rig. I got the sense that the owner wasn't very negotiable.

By the way, it was a small local shop, the owner bought it a couple of years ago as a project, but hasn't gotten around to it with other things taking priority. It wasn't parked because it is a hunk of junk.

Thank you to everyone for the help and guidance.

3FE haters on here are like head gaskets problems, they will never go away...lol
Karma is a bit*h...
$500? how much would you pay for if its a 1FZ? lol. $1000?
91-92 wont have the Head Gasket problems most 93+ plagued with due to lack of cooling maintenance. The 3-FE is a old school tractor push rod engine and with proper maintenance, it should last 400k upward miles without having a rebuild. But there are some OE parts that has been discontinued, but sourcing used parts are not impossible. I think it will be a great platform for your son given not much electronics to tamper with and things are easily accessible, easy to wrench on and learn. It will be a great reliable rig for him once the baselining is brought up to speed. i paid $6k on mine 4 yrs ago with 1 owner and Ca/Az rig with zero rust, 200k miles and have since easily put in upwards of 15k on top of that. But at the end of the day, it is well worth it.
Not really, someone will buy for 4.5K, cause i rather spend 4.5K on a rig than 4.5K on replacing a HG if its a 93+ :cool:
Oh boy, rev up the butthurt, Marco is here! :rofl: I really don't understand. The consensus here for the most part is that while the 3FE/earlier trucks as a whole have some drawbacks, the 3FE is overall a great and reliable motor. Yet you seem to take this sentiment so personally you try to turn half the threads on here into 3FE vs. 1FZ battles. Your truck is definitely cool, and I am glad you are so happy with it but this battle you so desperately want to wage out is getting pretty tiresome.

Oh boy, rev up the butthurt, Marco is here! :rofl: I really don't understand. The consensus here for the most part is that while the 3FE/earlier trucks as a whole have some drawbacks, the 3FE is overall a great and reliable motor. Yet you seem to take this sentiment so personally you try to turn half the threads on here into 3FE vs. 1FZ battles. Your truck is definitely cool, and I am glad you are so happy with it but this battle you so desperately want to wage out is getting pretty tiresome.
He does it to push buttons.

Looks like he got yours........

I'm not good at the banter, but I would take a 3FE 80 series in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, I loved my newer 80 series (1FZ-FE?) and the one I put a TRD supercharger was a whole lot better. But I'd take a 91-92 without question. For an around town and trail rig, I'd love a 3FE 80 - on the trail or back road that more tractor like feeling would be just the ticket. I might get tedious for high speed interstate highway travel, but I don't see much of that kind of thing where I live. Or if you lived in an urban area, that might be a hassle. ...but I don't. :)

True admittedly. This just seems like chat-posting. Having to scroll through nine "3FE vs. 1FZ EPIC BATTLE PLEASE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE" posts in threads that are barely tangentially related can get quite annoying.
Sorry, this deal and this thread is dead from an OP perspective. Thanks for the advice, and I learned a lot to help me in the future.

Fwiw, I did walk away, but not because of the engine. I actually liked the way it drove. Sure, a was a bit more tractor like, but it was good, and I found it pleasant enough to drive.

We have a different issue that I was anticipating (I'm only 5'-10") - my son is over 6' and he didn't have enough leg room, so it wasn't going to work out. Combined with other factors, it just wasn't the right "fit" (haha).

If it was half the price, I would have bought it for a trail rig. I got the sense that the owner wasn't very negotiable.

By the way, it was a small local shop, the owner bought it a couple of years ago as a project, but hasn't gotten around to it with other things taking priority. It wasn't parked because it is a hunk of junk.

Thank you to everyone for the help and guidance.
I'm surprised the over 6' thing is an issue.

I'm 6'-1" and fat, and I fit in mine OK. Passenger side..... NO. seat doesn't go far enough back.

Mine's a DD (96 LC) and I am assuming this 3F-E has cloth manual seats which would be even better?

True admittedly. This just seems like chat-posting. Having to scroll through nine "3FE vs. 1FZ EPIC BATTLE PLEASE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE" posts in threads that are barely tangentially related can get quite annoying.
now you know how annoying to be hearing the 3-FE hate....welcome!

I have become totally addicted to Ih8mud, but seem like the 80 series tech forum has become a whats it worth pissing match over what 80 series model is better.

THIS IS NOT TECK !!!! MEDIATORS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now you know how annoying to be hearing the 3-FE hate....welcome!
As I said, it's unfortunate you take the sentiment you describe as "hate" so personally but turning half the unrelated threads you post in into "battle of the engines!!" "hedgasketz XD!!" like some 12-year old youtuber is not the answer.

As I said, it's unfortunate you take the sentiment you describe as "hate" so personally but turning half the unrelated threads you post in into "battle of the engines!!" "hedgasketz XD!!" like some 12-year old youtuber is not the answer..
As I said, it's unfortunate you take the sentiment you describe as "hate" so personally but turning half the unrelated threads you post in into "battle of the engines!!" "hedgasketz XD!!" like some 12-year old youtuber is not the answer..

now you cross the line..

Last edited:
As I said, it's unfortunate you take the sentiment you describe as "hate" so personally but turning half the unrelated threads you post in into "battle of the engines!!" "hedgasketz XD!!" like some 12-year old youtuber is not the answer.
there you go...you said it yourself and nobody else.. why are you so sensitive to my posts, obviously you are very "concerned" and i can smell that from you miles away. I HAVE you since day 1...:flipoff2::flipoff2:

It is still sitting on the same lot it was in 2 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom