Early 74 FJ40 with 4 Speed Transmission needing clutch replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also have a February 1974, 4 speed with an early 3 finger style clutch. I’m pretty sure it came that way because I bought it in 1980. Yes, the flywheel cover plate is the inspection cover. Yes, you remove the seats, fuel tank and transmission tunnel cover. You will put a pair of 2 x 4 lumber across both doors, (windows rolled down) and hoist the gearboxes down from above, supporting underneath with your trans jack. Yes, use long bolts with the heads cut off to line it back up upon reassembly. It’s heavy and off balance, but not complicated. Also get yourself a new rear engine seal and pilot bearing.
if you have the flywheel resurfaced, I believe it’s a stepped flywheel. Be sure and mention that to the machinist.
How are you supporting, and hoisting, the tranny Via the lumber, I'm curious. I've never done anything this way, this is pretty new to me. The doors can take all that weight?

How are you supporting, and hoisting, the tranny Via the lumber, I'm curious. I've never done anything this way, this is pretty new to me. The doors can take all that weight?

I'd use an engine hoist myself.

I used a hand winch, AKA come along, but if the top and doors are off, use an engine hoist.
F68D4A37-1944-43EC-9B7A-19912DD26979.jpeg

I’ve done it this way 2x, no door damage.

The more I read, the more intimidating it seems. Where I'll be working I can't use an engine hoist. If I bought one I'd have nowhere to store it, anyway, my garage is FULL.

I’ve done a 40 clutch a few times. I’ve done it a few times with a large floor jack. I’d not be intimidated by the job... it’s not an overly difficult job. When I was younger I’ve just muscled it in and out. Also lumber and rope has worked for me.

Are you positive about that?

I have pics of my engine and bellhousing installed and my flywheel laying on the floor. But I don't have a pic looking inside the bellhousing without the flywheel.

Edit-you have to remove the flywheel before you can gain access to the bellhousing bolts.

Yikes! You're right. I had that backwards. What was I thinking. So sorry!

In your heating leaky thread you said your clutch suddenly went. When ever I had a clutch go it wasn't sudden. I would notice it slipping. These are hydraulic and loss of fluid it will not disengage. I have no idea of your problem just throwing this out there because you post in the other thread.

In your heating leaky thread you said your clutch suddenly went. When ever I had a clutch go it wasn't sudden. I would notice it slipping. These are hydraulic and loss of fluid it will not disengage. I have no idea of your problem just throwing this out there because you post in the other thread.
I'm wondering about the same thing. I'll be inspecting my Master and Slave Cylinders first.

When I removed my 4 speed and transfer case myself, I took the doors off, removed the seats and gas tank. Then removed the transmission hump, and the shift lever and worked the gear boxes back and lowered them to the floor with a rope like the Toyota manual shows I was working alone and not much room. Not so sure I could do that in my 60s now.

I changed out one clutch in a 1/2 ton Dodge with a transmission jack which have two adjustment screws to adjust the angle side to side and forward and back.

I learned the hard way, pulling and installing an NP203 transfer case. We dropped the transfer case on the floor because we did not know the input shaft was shorter on an automatic transmission verses a manual. Installing we had the front wheels on ramps and rears on the floor, then got two more ramps for the rear nothing worked so we got a transmission jack and once we got the alignment it went right on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom