Early 70s carb with ported vacuum? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.exploringoverland.com
I need to replace the non-USA carb on my 1973 FJ40, which has ported vacuum for my large-cap distributor. Specter has them for an outrageous price ($900!). Some companies (cruiserparts.net, etc.) have rebuilt factory carbs in stock, but the 73 Toyota carb has no ported vacuum. Is there an earlier factory two-barrel that has ported vacuum and might work? I plan to send my existing carb to Jim C. to rebuild, but I'm working on a magazine deadline and need to get the vehicle mobile again quickly.

Thanks for any thoughts . . .

Ported vacuum is over rated. I can't tell the difference in driving performance with spark advance, one way or the other. I highly question it because no one has demonstrated its gains on a dyno, that I have found. I'm not trying to sway you away from ported vacuum. I'm probably in the dark, but I could easily imagine that it would be difficult to get a decent USA carb for a late F.

I just ordered a non-USA OEM Aisan from City Racer. It is not the earlier type like you are talking about. I'm trying to deal with what I call, 'carb-drool' - a kind of idle circuit, or low-speed circuit, fuel drain while the motor is off. That, and a million other little reasons to, just simply, try something better than the smogerator. It has ported vac. City Racer has the made-in-Japan carb, with ported vac, but, I wasn't sure that I wanted aftermarket, to go that route.

Jonathan, why not rebuild it yourself if you're in a hurry? A rebuild kit, a can of carb dip and the manual and you`ll have it back on and running in a couple of days. Will be easy since its a running carb and probably not missing parts.

Jonathan, why not rebuild it yourself if you're in a hurry? A rebuild kit, a can of carb dip and the manual and you`ll have it back on and running in a couple of days. Will be easy since its a running carb and probably not missing parts.
I have . . . a couple times over the years. This time it has an issue I can't seem to solve. And I found the vacuum advance to be a significant help with power, so I don't want to revert to centrifugal advance—much less the vacuum retard it originally had.

Jim C. can drill the older style carbs for ported vacuum - Mark Algazy did that on mine

Is there an earlier factory two-barrel that has ported vacuum and might work?

You are looking for models that will work ?
Any 73-74 carb from a non USA FJ40 should fit right in.
Any 75+ carb from a non USA FJ40 should adapt easily.

I can give you partnumber if you want but it will not help you finding one.
21100-60300 : 1974 non-USA with TP
21100-60132 : same but no TP
21100-60131 : 1973 non-USA, probably the one original for your truck.

72 and before are set for a cable accelerator so would not install as easily, I think that really the only point to be careful if you can find a non-USA carb.

have you looked into Trollhole's carbs ?

Thanks for that.

Did any US-spec carbs from that area have ported vacuum? Non-USA carbs appear to have been remanufactured in solid gold, at least if Specter's price is any indication.
74 Cali-spec F carb has ported vac.

74 Cali-spec F carb has ported vac.
Thanks for that. I've also been told I can swap the ported-vacuum-equipped non-US base onto a stock US 73 carb, and just block off the vacuum retard diaphragm those were equipped with. Would that work?

The big cap dissy has 2 stages of vacuum advance, no retard to block off.
Jim,
Yes, thanks . . . so I could just block off the vacuum diaphragm mechanism on the carb itself? That would leave me several options.

Not sure what you're referring to Jonathan. On the early 2 barrel carb the only vacuum diaphragm is the choke breaker. Later 2 barrels have a vacuum diaphragm to open the secondaries. Nothing to do with vacuum retard.

You can definitely swap the ported base onto an earlier carb. But if you haven’t identified the source of your issue, and you just swap bases, you could be bolting your problem on to a new carburetor.

If you can’t wait the few weeks it takes to have your carburetor rebuilt, the next best thing would be to just bolt on an earlier carburetor sans advance port (unless you buy one from me; all my 70-73 carbs are ported during the rebuild) while yours is being rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom