Early 40 Ignition Bezel OEM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
Threads
I noticed this bezel on a truck for sale and I can't recall ever seeing these before, but I haven't been around many original un-molested FJ40's in my time. Were these ignition bezel's a factory thing? I like the look and am just curious if they are original.

Off - On - Start Bezel.jpg

00F0F_5QlEdAdXU0fz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

I noticed this bezel on a truck for sale and I can't recall ever seeing these before, but I haven't been around many original un-molested FJ40's in my time. Were these ignition bezel's a factory thing? I like the look and am just curious if they are original.

View attachment 3094117

View attachment 3094118
That is a PO mod, albeit a tasteful and likely nondestructive one. Fits well with the rest of the vehicle. GM liked using such bezels

That is a PO mod, albeit a tasteful and likely nondestructive one. Fits well with the rest of the vehicle. GM liked using such bezels
Thank you. Off to ebay to find something similar. Thankfully, with it not being an OEM hens tooth, maybe I can find one at lunch money pricing!

Thank you. Off to ebay to find something similar. Thankfully, with it not being an OEM hens tooth, maybe I can find one at lunch money pricing!
You're welcome! The early C1 Vette had a black colored bezel and tri-five GM trucks had a clear plastic bezel. Both (reproductions) are dead easy to buy from specialty vendors

Some interest over in the 45 section for these but with no success
I had to chuckle when I read the text you quoted as I would have never thought to use the word "escutcheon". Using escutcheon for this part is like calling a meat and cheese platter a charcuterie board!

I have one on my 45, they came with ignition switches from sor, but this one was bought in 07!

View attachment 3094293
On closer look Brian, the one you have looks identical to the one in this truck for sale. They too probably got their ignition switch from SOR. Thank you for your input.

Here is mine from my '70 FST with the original switch and big key. @ToyotaMatt told me they were original.

View attachment 3094361
Big key!! Sweet. Thanks for sharing Eric. I wasn't aware these early 70's trucks came with big keys. Neither of my early 70's 40s have the big key. I also question if my ignition switches have ACC positions, but I'm not at home to check right now. Both my switches are recently new from Toyota.

I had to chuckle when I read the text you quoted as I would have never thought to use the word "escutcheon". Using escutcheon for this part is like calling a meat and cheese platter a charcuterie board!

On closer look Brian, the one you have looks identical to the one in this truck for sale. They too probably got their ignition switch from SOR. Thank you for your input.
My 5 year old calls it a Shariki board.
I have no constructive additions to this thread.

Here is a good looking one for A 55 chevy

Ok, these are pictures of originals. Top pic is of an early original version and bottom picture is later but purchased off evilbay. Pictures borrowed. Thanks guys!
I have reached out to have these reproduced. How many people are interested? I need to know how many to have made which we all know, the higher the quantity, the lower the cost.
62DC2A62-9456-4B69-8BD9-B1931667BEBD.jpeg

1661226629324.jpeg

Last edited:
You learn something new every day. Thanks for the lesson, I have early 70's and 60's 40's and 45's with all OE keys and matching locks which don't have this but they are Aus or General Countries spec, so that does not rule it out definitively.

I wonder if the bezel was a regional or area specific option? Something like the chrome grille and bumper bumperettes found in the Middle East.

Ok, these are pictures of originals. Top pic early and bottom picture is later but purchased off evilbay. Pictures borrowed. Thanks guys!
I have reached out to have these reproduced. How many people are interested? I need to know how many to have made which we all know, the higher quantity, the lower the cost.
View attachment 3094573

View attachment 3094575
I would be in for 3 depending on price

You learn something new every day. Thanks for the lesson, I have early 70's and 60's 40's and 45's with all OE keys and matching locks which don't have this but they are Aus or General Countries spec, so that does not rule it out definitively.

I wonder if the bezel was a regional or area specific option? Something like the chrome grille and bumper bumperettes found in the Middle East.
Even warnings and cigarette lighter were options so anything is possible.

When I was buying replacement ignition lock cylinders from Toyota in the early 90's, they ALL came with that metal plaque. They also came with the huge key which, unlike the original, was a double sided key. It was a window in time, maybe two or three years, that that particular replacement was offered.

I put one on Ruftoys because I thought it was cool, only to find out the first time I wheeled it after the install that the truck had enough flex to shift the forward hoop of the rollcage over just far enough to hit that fat key AND SHUT MY TRUCK OFF!😱

Fortunately I wasn't wheeling alone, because I had to have someone hang off the rollcage and push with one foot on the A pillar to get enough leverage/ room to restart the truck!😛

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom