Early 4-Speed FJ40 Parking Brake Drum on Split Transfer Case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I did a search on the FJ40 FAQs and came up dry. I'm installing an '84 H41 (from an HJ47) and '85 split transfer case (from a BJ45) in my '71 FJ40. The split transfer case includes the drum parking brake. The overall length of the new combination is only ~1/4" shorter than the '78 FJ55 4-speed/one piece case that was in the vehicle, which has early 4-speed FJ40 driveshafts. I'd like to use the driveshafts as is but the bolt pattern on the parking brake drum is like the later FJ40/FJ60 driveshafts. Will an early 4-speed FJ40 parking brake drum slip over the output shaft of the split transfer case? I know the output shaft diameters are the same on the split case and the 4-speed one-piece case because the rear seals are the same. And the shoes and other internals are the same. I'm not sure about the splines. Any insight would be appreciated.

I can probably respond here....

I had a 70 FJ40, when building it I put 76 axles under it. The transfer case was stock. When I went to install the rear driveshaft I found the bolt pattern to be different. A friend had a later transfer case drum brake - so I threw it on no problem and was able to use the newer driveshaft.

Should be noted the size of the bolts are also different - they were a weird M11 that nobody sticks and I had to order bolt sets from spectre (had Toyotq part numbers) to bolt the driveshaft to the drum.

I hope that helps....

A 1978 one piece case is 16 spline. The later model split case use a 19 spline output. Your drum brake will not fit.

If drive shafts are all that you are worried about just change the flange on the shaft to match what you need.

If drive shafts are all that you are worried about just change the flange on the shaft to match what you need.
If the later flange would fit the earlier yoke that would be an easy fix. I plan on replacing the U-joints anyway.

Follow-on question: The bolt pattern on my split transfer case is 66mm X 66mm, like the later FJ60 and the FJ62 driveshafts. Can I use the FJ60/FJ62 driveshaft yoke flanges on my early 4-speed FJ40 driveshafts, using new U-joints? Or are the U-joints different?

just take the slip joint apart and use the entire end. the slip joints are the same and will work together

early ujoints had an external snap ring and the newer ujoints used the inner snap ring to hold the caps in.

Thanks for all the input, now I can start to search for what I need.

just take the slip joint apart and use the entire end. the slip joints are the same and will work together

early ujoints had an external snap ring and the newer ujoints used the inner snap ring to hold the caps in.
The driveshafts on my 06/86 FJ60 have different yokes for the front and rear driveshafts, one is longer than the other (I forget which one). I'm not sure if that's the case with the FJ62 driveshafts. It looks like I'll have to do some more digging to find out exactly which yoke/slip joint sections I need to look for. I'd like to be able to use my driveshafts without having to have them lengthened or shortened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom