1976 Fj40... long "budget "project... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My bad, I was looking at post #35 as the carb in question.
Sorry for confusing. My question ,.. should I rebuild it back? Clean touse at post #35 and put top back?

It might be worth it. If you ever need ported vacuum for a vacuum advance distributor, the '76 has it. There may be other issues as well which favor it. However, it is hard to tell if it can actually be done given the amount of corrosion, and the incomplete history of the unit. I'd assess the parts that you have now, then answer that question.

Do you have a JIS (Japanese Industrial Screw) screwdriver?

Hi @SergP

Great Score and Project Truck 4 u !

I could not help Noticing that Your Factory Radio Opening still has the Original Delete Plate ,

Thats HUGE , because it ,means a PO has Not CUT it or modified it in most cases

thats a PLUS !

Nice Truck ...........................:)

This is one of the Vessels in my toolbox which will reduce the struggle on the carb screws. The JIS screws look like phillips, but the phillips was the product of Ford. The phillips was meant to 'cam-out' in the days before torque setting drivers, meaning that when the screw is torqued enough, the driver would back-out of the screw head. A phillips tool used in a JIS head leaves a seriously buggered up appearance.

Hi @SergP

Great Score and Project Truck 4 u !

I could not help Noticing that Your Factory Radio Opening still has the Original Delete Plate ,

Thats HUGE , because it ,means a PO has Not CUT it or modified it in most cases

thats a PLUS !

Nice Truck ...........................:)
Thanks for feedback

This is one of the Vessels in my toolbox which will reduce the struggle on the carb screws. The JIS screws look like phillips, but the phillips was the product of Ford. The phillips was meant to 'cam-out' in the days before torque setting drivers, meaning that when the screw is torqued enough, the driver would back-out of the screw head. A phillips tool used in a JIS head leaves a seriously buggered up appearance.
Thanks good to know. I will look for this tools.

Some "progress".. on my project..

Question:
To remove cylinder head should I need to remove valve rocker?
If so,.. do I need to unscrew all 12 bolts?
It hard to unscrew right bolts (smaller size) any trick there?

IMG_8147.jpg

The studs on the right can stay, IIRC. The big problem for mine was getting the head gasket to let go of the head without pulling the entire engine up and breaking the engine off of the front motor mounts in the process. I needed an engine hoist just to tear the head gasket from the two pieces of iron. Then I spent a great deal of time just cleaning off the head gasket. It didn't go so smoothly because I created a couple of gouges in the head. So the head will need to get milled before I get that motor back into specification. I put it on hold because a similar 2F found itself delivered to my driveway not long after that.

Have you pulled the starter yet? My seized 2F lodged a chunk of aluminum from the starter in between the flywheel and bellhousing. I am pretty sure that is why the motor will not crank or turn. A rust-seized motor might just need a few kicks from the starter to get it going.

Have you pulled the starter yet? My seized 2F lodged a chunk of aluminum from the starter in between the flywheel and bellhousing. I am pretty sure that is why the motor will not crank or turn. A rust-seized motor might just need a few kicks from the starter to get it going.
Good point. No I didn’t. I will try this first, before removing the head. Thanks for reply.

Any FJ40 is a blast to own and tinker on. Congrats on your purchase and I hope you are having fun. This community is half the fun.

Take on one project at a time - don't get overwhelmed and throw your hands up. That can happen because just about every system, every piece will need attention.

Have fun - my cruiser is a disaster in its' own right, and needs much attention - but it brings me so much joy.

Welcome - and keep up the good work!

Any FJ40 is a blast to own and tinker on. Congrats on your purchase and I hope you are having fun. This community is half the fun.

Take on one project at a time - don't get overwhelmed and throw your hands up. That can happen because just about every system, every piece will need attention.

Have fun - my cruiser is a disaster in its' own right, and needs much attention - but it brings me so much joy.

Welcome - and keep up the good work!
Thank you. I defiantly not for historical or commercial restoration. I will not going to fully restore 1976 model here. I will keep old parts from previous model year (doors, windshield frame,...red and very comfortable seats) as they installed already. I have fun to learning old school (time when car mechanic repair staff,.. not an re-placing a staff). My aim is to make something by myself and get fun with my kids. I would like to keep "original" parts on this cruiser as much as I can. Unfortunately some parts is not useful anymore (rust issue) or relapsed by previous owner,.. but I'm not giving up easily, and this forums and people here give me an energy to Do Thing! :)

About some fun...
I have old large format Gundlach Camera from 1932 .. and Land Cruser from 76.. :)

It looks cool on 8x10 format ... may be I don't need to repair this cruiser.... :)

Keep up the good work. Bringing an old fj40 back from the dead is the lords work, and very rewarding! Enjoy the beautiful vehicle and keep taking pictures with that awesome camera. -Matt

Keep up the good work. Bringing an old fj40 back from the dead is the lords work, and very rewarding! Enjoy the beautiful vehicle and keep taking pictures with that awesome camera. -Matt
Thanks Matt. I will try my best. It a lot to learn, but joy process. And I have good hands for help ..... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom