Early 1970 Brake conversion help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shermantank55

SILVER Star
Threads
We recently adopted a 3/1970 FJ-40 for my daughter's first car (the sickness is obviously hereditary). I have installed a MAF front disc conversion on my 1972 FJ-55, but this is a different animal. There is no brake booster, only a single reservoir master cylinder and a single brake line out.

Has anyone converted an early 40 to disc brakes? If so, can you help me with a list of recommended parts? I had good luck with the MAF kit, but see this will probably require new lines, master cylinder and the addition of a booster.

Help.:crybaby:

Thanks
Greg

try getting a booster/mc from a 7-70 fj40 and then the same maf kit will work. or you can get a much improved fj80 mc or a mini mc and use all mini stuff for the knuckle/brake upgrade.

I forgot to say that in 7/70 is when the dual circuit stuff started. still drum though.

I have a 1970 with 4 wheel disc. You can either cut the support rib next to your master to allow a booster to fit, or you have to find a "spacer" that will move the booster out past the rib. I think JTO has spacers. If you have the original F motor, some people have a problem with the spacer, because the master MIGHT hit your carb.

Shawn

the faq is full of the info you need...i found it very helpful when doing the same thing...i swapped in a disk axel...bought a firewall adapter from mark and a booster/master combo....still tweaking the system but all is good

good luck

osagecruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom