E15 and your 200 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just noticed on the LC fuel cap says no higher in fuel grade than E15 . I dispise any blended ethanol into gasoline , its a huge ripoff and is no good for any engine in my world .
I'm in the Boat and Powersports business , it makes me money by causing damage to others . I would rather loose business than see Ethanol blending continue .
I'm up and down the eastcoast between Florida and NY to and to locate Ethanol free gas outside of Florida has become a argues task .
What are you guys running in your Cruisers and had any fuel problems ?
Thanks
Greg

Most people run it without issue, in large part because everything about modern vehicles and their oil has been designed for it. Plus our cruisers don’t often spend as much time in storage as people’s boats usually do.

That said, I usually run ethanol free when I get to the mountains, and I notice a small but definite bump in mileage. Doesn’t pay for the cost difference, but the truck seems to like it.

There are a few threads about this. I'm in the performance side of this so I like ethanol in my fuel. I'd trade power for MPGs any day.

There are a few threads about this. I'm in the performance side of this so I like ethanol in my fuel. I'd trade power for MPGs any day.

How does a given octane of e15 make more power than without ethanol? I thought there was less potential energy in a gallon..

Ethanol is a great cheap Octrane booster or as everyone may know it as drygas forever . There is no getting around it in most states and big oil loves it is cheap way to boost octane leveled then just don't want to be mandate on blending .
Biggest thing is trusting fuel stations , most big franchised stations reserve the right to sell generic low grade non branded gas , they pay there franchise fee's and buy the higher grade fuel from Sunoco , Shell and can put any cheap grade in the lower tanks .
Florida and Hawaii are the only 2 states that repealed the Ethanol mandate , basically don't get highway money from the GOV .
I still put fuel lubricating additive in most fuel injected gasoline engines including the LC .
I run the cheap lower grade , don't notice much difference in the LC

It has to do less with the potential energy of ethanol compared to gasoline and more with how conservative Toyota tunes are and timing retardation. This has been my experience with most Toyota engines since the Lexus is300. I haven't tested this on the LX but I will this summer to see if it's the same.

Biggest thing is trusting fuel stations , most big franchised stations reserve the right to sell generic low grade non branded gas , they pay there franchise fee's and buy the higher grade fuel from Sunoco , Shell and can put any cheap grade in the lower tanks .

Source for this info? I'm pretty sure virtually all gasoline in central Florida comes from a refinery without branding. I think this is probably the case across the whole US. The various brands then add their own additive package to the fuel before delivery to their station. At least a delivery driver told me that was the process.

I guess I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying a brand doesn't put their own package in their own gasoline? Example: Chevron not using their Techron package in "regular" grade gasoline.

It has to do less with the potential energy of ethanol compared to gasoline and more with how conservative Toyota tunes are and timing retardation. This has been my experience with most Toyota engines since the Lexus is300. I haven't tested this on the LX but I will this summer to see if it's the same.

Which is why I said for a specified octane. Whether it's E15 or ethanol-free, a given octane rating should see the same timing retardation. Unless E15 cools the intake charge more than gasoline through evaporation or something I don't see how E15 would be allowed more timing to make more power.

pure-gas.org

I just noticed on the LC fuel cap says no higher in fuel grade than E15 . I dispise any blended ethanol into gasoline , its a huge ripoff and is no good for any engine in my world .
I'm in the Boat and Powersports business , it makes me money by causing damage to others . I would rather loose business than see Ethanol blending continue .
I'm up and down the eastcoast between Florida and NY to and to locate Ethanol free gas outside of Florida has become a argues task .
Thanks
Greg

Agreed...pure-gas is a great resource. I put a full tank of Ethanol Free in about every 2-3K miles.

I have never had a single issue with running E-10 in my 100 or 200 anywhere in North America over many hundreds of thousands of miles. I have also had very few issues running dodgy unleaded of any mix in developing countries, occasionally even from black market roadside red barrel stations (after filtering through a coffee filter to remove rust, sand, and dirt).

Never understood the ethanol pushback for any modern car engine. Politics aside, it's just fuel folks. It works.

Thanks
Greg

My gas cap says no higher than E-10!

LC200GasCap1_13OCT16_zpsltpdcoii.jpg

This makes E-15 an unacceptable option.

Is your gas cap different? Or did you just mis-read it, maybe?

HTH

Haha ... You made me do a double take ... LOL My. LC is a 2018 and must have a different cap and I hope the fuel systems is more impervious to Ethanol compared to previous years .
As far as Gas station Franchines I know a guy who owns a BP and Shell there both only obligated to use the higher grade fuels and can subsutute a lower grade ...
Just Sunoco has not cracked fuel since they stopped selling 94 ocatane , they buy there gas on the open market ... The make penny's on the gas but the retail stores is where the money is these days ... Had a Friend that was a executive at Sunoco .

IMG_1858.JPG

I just filled up in central NC. E-10 87 was 4.60 a gallon, and e15 was 3.99. Rolled the dice on e15. Hope my truck doesn’t explode!

Only E-10 here. No option for non-ethanol gas. 85/89/91 kills me as well. I always throw in 91, as I NEVER want my engine in a KNOCK situation. "supreme" is hella expensive up here :(

I just filled up in central NC. E-10 87 was 4.60 a gallon, and e15 was 3.99. Rolled the dice on e15. Hope my truck doesn’t explode!
I would never put E-15 in any of my rides, including the 200. If i recall correctly, You lose about 5% mpg which may not seem like much but it shortens the distance of range and that much ethanol isn’t great for engine longevity. Also, ethanol creates more smog. Go figure. I don’t blame you, 3.99 is tempting.

Everything around here says it’s 10% ethanol. Stupid Midwest corn belt. Works fine 125k miles in. Probably hurts my mileage but given my mileage is so bad I’m measuring it in pounds of fuel like a cruise ship I hardly notice.

My 2013 says don’t use E15 but if it did I’d just do the math and figure out what the cost savings would need to be to make it worth buying.

Only E-10 here. No option for non-ethanol gas. 85/89/91 kills me as well. I always throw in 91, as I NEVER want my engine in a KNOCK situation. "supreme" is hella expensive up here :(
I used to live in Colorado and spent a lot of time in Breck and Ouray with 3 previous 200 series and never once got a knock using mid grade. I used premium when towing going over the summit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom