E-Stopp Electric Emergency Brake for Security?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oakley40

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been looking for security options for my '68 FJ40. I also need an e-brake, now that I've swapped my original drivetrain for an e-brakeless late model 4spd/splitcase. This doesn't help me with adding an e-brake, but has anyone looked at the E-Stopp electric emergency brake controller for theft deterrent?

It's basically a solenoid that connects to your e-brake cable. The company claims that the controller will only allow the push button switch to operate (brake and/or release) when keyed power is engaged. Also, unlike line-locks, they claim that it will not drain your battery.

Seems like a great option to lock up the rear brakes with a hidden switch. A little spendy at about $500 for the basic unit, but cost is relative...

Here's the link. There is an install video describing how it works.

i doubt that it is a solenoid, there wouldn't be enough force to engage or disengage the brake for it to be effective. Looks more like a linear actuator by looking at the size of it...but who knows. There isn't much information on the site, such as current requirements, for the actuator. The video that is available definitely makes it look like a linear actuator. It states that the actuator is IP67 rated. Wonder how it would fair in the off road environment? They claim that it will prevent your vehicle from being towed away. I have seen a Disco II with all four wheels locked up dragged onto a roll on tow truck so I can't imagine this stopping a car from being towed. Just my very humble opinion.

They've been used in the classic car community for a while now I think. Just like Cromagnon said it's a linear actuator, that's why it doesn't draw any power unless it's in motion.

For an e-brake they seem like a great idea. I dunno about theft deterrent though. I guess it's an added layer of safety that's better than nothing but it would depend on what type of parking brake you have. The transfer case drum parking brake is barely strong enough to hold it from rolling, but I could easily drive with it engaged if it ever got stuck. And I've had some cars where the rear caliper parking/emergency brakes were absolutely useless too.

A competent thief could probably figure out how to disengage it, but luckily those are pretty rare.

Find other security threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom