e-diagnosis requested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 is just about to cross the 300,000 mile mark and I've been replacing quite a few things lately. The rear shocks had just started leaking and I knew the control arm bushings were shot as well. So, replaced all the bushings front and rear, new TREs, steering damper, shocks, and adjusted the steering box to get rid of some of the play. It wasn't super terrible but having older cars in the past with steering boxes I knew it could be a little better. Now, the symptoms previous to this were just sloppy, all over the road handling and a nasty side-to-side sway when hitting a dip in the road on one side. It also slightly pulled right. After replacing everything, it tracks dead straight, steering feels good but I almost feel like the side-to-side sway got worse. I've retorqued all the control arm bolts, checked the shocks, etc and it all seems fine. Searching, I ran across several threads that indicated it could be from worn, saggy springs. Thoughts?

Almost forgot, I rebuilt the knuckles two years ago and just recently put brakes on the truck. Wheel bearings are not showing any wobble in the 6/12 or 3/9 test.

Thanks

Did you check/replace the front and rear sway bar bushings and links?

Check the front and rear panhard bushings

Is it lifted? If so you may benefit greatly from a Delta VS panhard bracket. It basically raises the bracket mount to a closer to stock angle. I was skeptical about whether it was worth the dollar amount and was a full believer right after it was installed. My rig is lifted 4 inches and had what I considered to be great manners for what it is. They got a whole heck of a lot better, though.

There's a huge thread here about them and pretty much everyone echos the same praise over the mod. There's also a couple people who have made their own for much cheaper but I decided to go with a part made by the engineers at Delta. They make wonderful stuff.

If it isn't lifted the couple replies above me sound like decent advice.

Edit - also may be worth getting your alignment numbers checked. Them being off could prob cause some of those issues. The Delta bracket allowed my rear to finally get back into spec.

Front steer damper is a cheap replacement.

Thanks everyone. Only thing I haven't changed is the panhard bar bushings. I have them just haven't had the chance yet. Steering damper is new also.

@EvanD no lift yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom