E-brake rattle/slack in cables (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, fixed one rattle and off to the next. I’m trying to fix an e-brake cable rattle. 04 LX, the cable rattles over any small bump and it’s annoying as hell. Ebrake works as it should. I tried to put some M1 grease at the moving parts but I don’t think that did anything. Noise still there. The cables them self have slack in them and I’m wondering if that is what is the issue? Should these cables be taught or are they supposed to have some play? It’s a rust free truck so no issues with that. Curious if this is going to need adjustment of the cables or should I try the Toyota lubricant they sell? Thanks for the help

Hey all, fixed one rattle and off to the next. I’m trying to fix an e-brake cable rattle. 04 LX, the cable rattles over any small bump and it’s annoying as hell. Ebrake works as it should. I tried to put some M1 grease at the moving parts but I don’t think that did anything. Noise still there. The cables them self have slack in them and I’m wondering if that is what is the issue? Should these cables be taught or are they supposed to have some play? It’s a rust free truck so no issues with that. Curious if this is going to need adjustment of the cables or should I try the Toyota lubricant they sell? Thanks for the help
I believe there is an adjustment at the e-brake handle that can be done, which requires center console removal. The forward brake cable is one of the last things to remedy on my 98, my e-brake barely works and I've tracked the issue down do the cable from the handle to rear where it splits to each drum. When I get to it, hopefully soon, I'll try and do a write up on it, I have searched, and I don't believe there is one yet for the front e-brake cable replacement.

Cables should be taut. If I remember correctly, you adjust the length of the longitudinal cable from the driver’s side brake, then equalize the latitudinal cable using the turnbuckle right behind the rear diff. Have you pulled the rotors off on both sides?

Last edited:
When I was dealing with this a few years ago, my rattle was coming from the bellcrank assemblies, but agree with the others, your cable should be taught.

If not already done, suggest do the following in this order:

1. Check adjustment inside drum of brake shoes,
2. Check condition of bell cranks -- operational, not rusty,
3. Check adjustment at bell cranks -- this is often overlooked,
4. Check adjustment of cable turn-buckle behind differential.

See details on attachments

Attachments

• Parking Brake -- m_br_0001.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Parking Brake Lever - m_br_0014.pdf
    49.2 KB · Views: 81
If not already done, suggest do the following in this order:

1. Check adjustment inside drum of brake shoes,
2. Check condition of bell cranks -- operational, not rusty,
3. Check adjustment at bell cranks -- this is often overlooked,
4. Check adjustment of cable turn-buckle behind differential.

See details on attachments
So based on that I’m at 8 clicks to pull all the way up. I’ll try and adjust the the cables as noted here.

When I was dealing with this a few years ago, my rattle was coming from the bellcrank assemblies, but agree with the others, your cable should be taught.
Did the bell crank assemblies have to be greased or replaced?

Adjustment done based off the FSM pages attached, for rid of the slack, got it into spec with 5 clicks for ebrake and much much quieter, amazing. Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom