E-Brake Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today one of my rear drums seized up; the shoes tightened up some how? Backed off the shoes and pulled the drum, cleaned components etc... I then noticed that my ebrake was not backing off, i pull the handle up and when i release it the cable does'nt move. I did a search of the threads and am wondering if it is seized bellcranks or a seized cable. I pulled the cable at the rear of the truck and the mechanisms seem to move on the out side of the drum. Any thoughts input in helping me diagnose the problem?

Today one of my rear drums seized up; the shoes tightened up some how? Backed off the shoes and pulled the drum, cleaned components etc... I then noticed that my ebrake was not backing off, i pull the handle up and when i release it the cable does'nt move. I did a search of the threads and am wondering if it is seized bellcranks or a seized cable. I pulled the cable at the rear of the truck and the mechanisms seem to move on the out side of the drum. Any thoughts input in helping me diagnose the problem?

You need to go through and rebuild the bell crank mechanism. Either get new bellcranks (still available) or take yous off the drums (2 bolts), free them up and re-grease. I have rebuilt the rears of 3 60 series axles and it takes the e-brake from worthless to the best one ever put on a Land Cruiser. Plus, the ebrake mechanism is what causes the brakes to self adjust, so if the bell cranks are frozen, your brakes are always out of adjustment and not working well if at all.

Ebrake adjustment - any pictures of that operation?

Not to steal the thread, but does anybody have photos of adjusting the cable at the ebrake handle on a FJ60? Everybody talks about it, but I've never seen a FSM or photos of someone actually doing it. Was mainly wondering what you have to pull to get access to it? Boot cover I expect, but can you do it with the console and seats in place?

Inquiring minds, and yes I did a search - talktalktalk, no pics for us neanderthals who like pictures. :)

Glenn in Tucson

Not to steal the thread, but does anybody have photos of adjusting the cable at the ebrake handle on a FJ60? Everybody talks about it, but I've never seen a FSM or photos of someone actually doing it. Was mainly wondering what you have to pull to get access to it? Boot cover I expect, but can you do it with the console and seats in place?

Inquiring minds, and yes I did a search - talktalktalk, no pics for us neanderthals who like pictures. :)

Glenn in Tucson

Yup, it's under the E-brake boot. You will see the threaded end of the cable with the adjustment nuts on it. It's pretty obvious from there. And Ditto on the bellcrank thing. Just rebuild them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom