E brake drum? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yankeetoys.org
I had a minor mishap. It could have been a lot worse but thankfuly it wasn't. I decided to take the 25 to Glastonbury to pick up some take-out for dinner. I got about 5 driveways away and noticed a bad vibration. I pulled over and saw one of the driveshaft bolts on the rear pinion was loose. I didnt investigate any further than that and turned it around to head home REAL slow. Well, as I turned into my driveway I hear the unmistakable clunk of the driveshaft coming loose. I coasted to a stop and figured I'd see the driveshaft on the ground. But it wasn't. The t-case end had actually come off. When it did, it took a good size chunk out of the cast e-brake drum. Fortunately, thats all that it did. The PO had used junk non metric grade 5 bolts which are just small enough to allow some movement. I guess it was enought to loosen them up. I found some more fitting bolts and re-installed everything. So is the drum 25 specific or do 40's use the same drum?

Got the tail lights installed too :) Now I just need to wire them.

Dang. Of course it only fits a 25 ;p my spare transfer case didn't come with one.

Look on the bright side.........at least it didn't take out a tail light! :flipoff2:

Mike,

I'll have a 40 drum or two at CMCC if you need to compare or use one. I'd guess the bolt pattern for the d-shaft will be the same as the early 3-sp 40 series d-shaft. But I'm not sure if the spline count or clamp length is the same.

Nick

Nick, we're not even close to a 40. Maybe an old chevy with the parking brake on back might work, never compared one. It's an external band type brake and the drum clamps between the driveshaft and transfer flange.

I probably have one...can't get to it for over a week...SOR probably has one, too

Cruiser_Nerd said:
Nick, we're not even close to a 40. Maybe an old chevy with the parking brake on back might work, never compared one. It's an external band type brake and the drum clamps between the driveshaft and transfer flange.
Oh well. Guess that's what happens went all I have of a 25 is a couple bodies... You guys can show me some more of this stuff at CMCC, if'n yer trucks hold together long enough! ;)

Nick

zebrabeefj40 said:
You guys can show me some more of this stuff at CMCC, if'n yer trucks hold together long enough! ;)

Nick

:D You don't know how true that is......last year mine started to come apart while it was still on the trailer. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom