E-brake Cable Removal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm fairly new to working on LC's. I'm trying to prepare everything to remove the engine/transmission/t-case, and I'm wondering if I need to remove the e-brake drum to access the inside, in order to remove the cable.

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

Yes... unstake the nut, remove the nut, and remove the snap-ring that retains the cable.

thanks!

Drain your transferase oil before removing the hub or it will drain then and be messy

Thanks! Luckily, I did that. However, I came upon another little issue. Once I removed all the brake components, I expected the cable to come out fairly easy. It didn't want to budge, so I started cleaning some gunk off of that area, and it looks like someone in the past has brazed the area where the cable goes through the drum. I guess I'll have to cut the cable? I don't really feel like putting a bunch of heat to it to melt the brass.

IMG_1621.jpg

There is a little horse shoe clip/wire in there holding it in place (if it's not brazed as you say)-similar to an circlip/e-clip. Just bend it out of place. It's really small.

Okay, is this it? The whole thing feels really tight. The cable won't budge a bit.

IMG_1621.jpg

That could be it. Here is a good thread on a rebuild Parking Brake Also take the 4 bolts out and it will be loose and you can rotate it to brake some of the junk loose to see the clip

Thanks for the link and the info. I've stopped for the night, but I'll take those bolts out the next time I'm back on it. Thanks again!

Pretty good video. About the only thing he didn't touch on, was how to get the plastic speedometer gear out of the housing. I imagine there's some kind of clip or something that holds it from the inside, but since I have yet to remove mine, I haven't inspected it.

I agree with what has been said above about removing the E-brake cable... That little tiny horseshoe clip is a pain. The key is relieving the tension on the cable to get a slack. That seems to free up the clip so that you can pop it out with tiny needle nose.

The speedo gear pops out of the housing once the retainer clip is removed. It may take a bit of persuasion.

Thanks for the confirmation. My shop is detached from my house, and it's raining cats and dogs out, so I haven't wanted to go out there yet today.

I usually just remove the 4 bolts versus removing the cable and swing the assembly out of the way.

The first pic shows the little groove where the parking brake retainer horseshoe clip fits into. The second pic shows the nut that retains the speedometer gear. The third pic shows the inside of the speedometer gear. If I recall correctly, i just used a very small flat blade screwdriver to gently pry the gear away from the housing and it slid out.

Parking Brake Cable.jpg

IMG_4057.JPEG

IMG_4038.JPEG

I usually just remove the 4 bolts versus removing the cable and swing the assembly out of the way.

I would too, but I'm removing the body from the frame for powder coating, as well as drivetrain swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom