E Brake adjustment question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I haven't posted up in a while, but it's good to be back. I was able to go wheel'n at an event last weekend. I adjusted my ebrake on the inside under the handle adjustment before we went. About 30 minutes and a couple of the hard red trails later I smelled something... jumped out and found the old ebrake smoking and wicked hot.:doh: I had obviously torque her down too much. My bad I know I should have checked for drag.

My question is, what is the right amout of thread above the nut on the inside, to then go to the adjustment on the brake itself? I thought I had it fixed, but it either has a small leak still, or i didn't have it adjusted right because she started rolling on me again, thus the pre trail tightening.

Dealing with a 78 with new shoes.

I've always adjusted mine at the brake drum, other than when installing a hew cable.

GL

Ed

I too would like to know the proper adjustment procedures for the E-brake...I will be doing this this weekend.

There is a square nut on the back of the e-brake at the tranny/transfer.
It has a cam action inside. I think it's a 10mm . Adjust it a few clicks
from there. If memory serves me correct the nut gets turned counter clockwise
as viewed facing the nut. This is on a 3/72 40. Results may vary. ;)

I do it with the driveshaft disconnected (or on a jack?) so you can tell if it's dragging or not. The handle has plenty of throw. You can pretty easily get it to go from no drag to full-brake with the handle being almost, but not all the way out. If you can pull the handle all the way to the stop you need another click or two at the adjuster.

What I was getting at was that now I think I have the inside part so far out of adjustment, I need to set it first to a ball park setting. Say like 3/4" of thread above the top nut for example. If anyone can look at theirs or already knows where theirs is let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom