e-bay: Troopies For Sale: Any Experience With These Guys? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mot

Threads
Mustard Yellow

Red

They say "Free Shipping" from Australia.

The mustard one is nice, but also $$$$$.
The red one has a B.I.N. for $6900US (Not as nice as the one above).

Just wondering if anybody's had any experience with the seller...

I'm not complaining that there's been a few troopies for sale lately though. :hillbilly:

MOT,

That is an amazing price: au$24,140. It takes more than a nifty name and poor grammar to start a Cruiser export business. However, with the money he might make from that mustard one he might even be able to register the name with ASIC....

Seriously: for that kind of money you could get a very, very decent rig. Look at what TJDIV sold his for- and that has 1/3 the kms that mustard one has. Keep your eye on it, and I think you will see that that rig will come down to around us$8-10,000 before it even gets any serious interest.

If you are seriously thinking about spending that kind of money, then come down here and find one. If you look around, you will find a rig like that for about au$5,000 (us$3400 today) and ship it home for us$2400. Add your plane ticket to that (us$2500), two weeks seeing Australia and getting speed camera and jay walking fines (us$2000) and you are still only at us$10,300 AND you have a story to tell.

Cheers,

Josh

This is why you gotta love Mud. :hillbilly:

Thanks, guys!

Josh, although I would love to see the land Down Under I would not be able to do it alone. (Wife and three boys.) But even then I might still be better off. I'll have to think about that. ;)

In the meantime, if you or someone from Mud can get me a dual fuel (petrol/propane) troopy with factory PS, AC, front discs, etc... I would be more than willing to pay for their time and effort, etc...

I do look at the various sites in OZ that were recommended by another Mudder here, but I imagine there are a few dozen others at least that are watching them like a hawk as well.

I guess when there's a will, there's a way. I'm hoping that I would be able to come across one that I would be happy with. (I guess Hlltopper(sp) had his for sale as well. But I would not mind driving one from the left coast and/or have a story to tell, either). :hillbilly:

Thanks again, guys!

Mot :cheers:

I don't think competition for them is very high right now, so keep watching the classifieds. Plus, petrol doesn't seem to resale like diesel, so you probably won't be competing with flippers. Just hasn't been much for sale lately that looks decent.

MOT,

That is an amazing price: au$24,140. It takes more than a nifty name and poor grammar to start a Cruiser export business. However, with the money he might make from that mustard one he might even be able to register the name with ASIC....

Seriously: for that kind of money you could get a very, very decent rig. Look at what TJDIV sold his for- and that has 1/3 the kms that mustard one has. Keep your eye on it, and I think you will see that that rig will come down to around us$8-10,000 before it even gets any serious interest.

If you are seriously thinking about spending that kind of money, then come down here and find one. If you look around, you will find a rig like that for about au$5,000 (us$3400 today) and ship it home for us$2400. Add your plane ticket to that (us$2500), two weeks seeing Australia and getting speed camera and jay walking fines (us$2000) and you are still only at us$10,300 AND you have a story to tell.

Cheers,

Josh

Nice.

I don't think competition for them is very high right now, so keep watching the classifieds. Plus, petrol doesn't seem to resale like diesel, so you probably won't be competing with flippers. Just hasn't been much for sale lately that looks decent.

Yeah, I was thinking/hoping that my want for the gas/propane powered troopy would give me a slightly better chance of obtaining one a little cheaper than the diesel counterpart.

Time will tell, I guess... Thanks again!

Hi Mot,
It seems like everyone else has already said this, but they are a rip off. The, "shipping included" idea is a basically a scam, because they know anyone in the USA will atomatically add that value into what they are willing to bid. Notice they aren't saying, "DDP, with a U.S. LIcense" (DDP means Delivered, DutyPaid, which means they deliver it to your door, after clearing Customs). Plus I can tell you by their ads, that they aren't as familiar with US import law as they claim.
As an example, I bought my troopy when the exchange rate was $93 cents to the dollar (super high), and I shipped it here at the height of the oil spike. Even then I got it here for $5,700 to my door. Then I sold the ten extra split rims it came with for $600. So I ended up paying $5,100 to buy & import my truck. it needs a re-paint as it had some rust repair done before I got it, but it wasn't fully painted, so it has, "spots". But it also has a fully rebuilt motor, 5speed, turbo, discs front brakes. Plus I have an HJ75 power steeing set up for it, that I still need to install.

So you could do WAY better to buy/ship one on your own. We have solid connections on this board to Melbourne & Brisbane, so pay one of those guys a few hundo to help you on that end, & do it way cheaper!

If you want to go that route, let me know. I will help you on this end all that I can.

Best,
Abe

Abe,

As I've said before, thanks for your input and also for the generous offer! :crybaby:

I do hope that I do not sound desperate to you guys as I am not in a hurry to get one. ;)

I will have to find out who might be willing to lend me a hand if I find the right one in OZ. Also, I would VERY MUCH appreciate it if anyone there (in Australia) and here (on Mud) found the one that fits the bill could PM me and let me know! I will be happy to shell out a few pesos for their time/trouble! :grinpimp:

I will make sure to contact you, Abe, if it comes to that!

Thanks again for your posts/kind words and generous offer for assistance!

Sincerely,

Mot

MOT,

Cheers,

Josh

I like the way you think. ;)

What fun is buying something when you could buy something with a story?!?!?

Dan

MOT,

If you find one in Adelaide, I'm happy to have a look at it for you. I don't really have time to get involved in shipping, etc. but I can tell you whether or not it is a total basket case.

I may sell my 84 FJ40 LX soon, but that is a 40 and not a troopy.

Just for the record, I think TJDIV's troopy was worth every cent he sold it for and more. When I re-read that sentence, it looks like I meant that TJDIV's rig would/should go down in value. What I meant was that I believe that the mustard yellow one will go down. Sorry about that TJDIV.

Dan,

Pilots all think the same, don't we? Gotta have a story to tell.

Last edited:
Josh,

Thanks for your offer!
I'll let you know if I find one near you. Also, I'd appreciate it very much if you could drop me a line if you come across one in a local lot/parking for sale.

Now I'll just need to find someone who will handle the shipping stuff for small change. ;)

BTW, I like having stories to tell as well, especially if that saves me some yen. :hillbilly:

Hi Guys,
I thought I should post up a quick apology to the guy doing these, "free shipping" ebay auctions. My post earlier was unnecessarily harsh. I shouldn't have used words like scam, as he isn't scamming anyone, he is just offering his trucks for sale with shipping included. The point I was trying to make is that you aren't getting any better deal than any other auction, as people know that the shipping is included so they bid accordingly. That guy is not scamming anyone in this process. It is just another Marketing promotion. I have never met the guy, or spoken to him, so I should have been more careful in my wording.
That said, getting a shipper is not difficult, and if you get your own shipper you will pay exactly their costs, when the trucks arrives at port. To buy one of these trucks, is to, "pre-pay" for shipping, based on a guesstimate of what shipping might cost you. You are basically paying that money out a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks earlier than you would need to. so you are hurting your cashflow and losign out on interest you could earn on that cash.
Again, I didn't mean to call the guy out specifically. If you didn't have contacts here on Mud, it would be tougher to ship a truck like that, and his offer would be very inviting. But for those of us here, I think you could do better using these assets...
I hope this helps clarify my position, and I apologize to that Seller.

Best,
Abe

Abe,

Your intention was fully understood, at least I did!

So... if I get an international shipper, all I would have to do on top of that, at least on the OZ side, is to have the vehicle shipped to that shipper and I'll be golden, whether arranged by the seller or by myself?

I can probably beg the seller to find a way to ship it to the port/international shipper, if the international shipper handles the paperwork, etc...

Maybe I need to start another thread for these questions...

T.I.A.

Mot :)

Hi Mot,
It is a little more complicated than that. To ship it you will need some Intl. Docs. Basically a Commercial Invoice & Packing list. These are for the Intl. Export/import side of things, not just buying the vehicle. But you will also want a bill of sale But they are super simple. Since you aren't there it is best to have the seller get everything notarized. You will also benefit from having him give you a copy of his driver's license. To get the truck loaded onto a boat, you will need to have a mechanic inspect it & sign a document on company letterhead saying he inspected it & there are no leaks & no electrical issues. The last one is that the vehicle is supposed to be steam cleaned to remove any foreign soil/animals/plant material. But my experience is that if you seller is willing to hit it hard with a power sprayer & clean it up well, you can get by with that.
When you get your truck here, you don't need to have a title/registration to license it, but it is way easier to do so with one. So push your seller to give you that info. A lot of times they won't want the RWC (roadworthy cert) to go with it, but they aren't in any risk, as the vehicle is leaving the country. It also really only takes one call by the seller to get a car shipper to pick the truck up & deliver it to port, so you don't need to worry too much about that side.
When I bought mine, I created the docs for my seller, to make it easy on him. Then e-mailed them to him. All he had to do was to sign them & get them notarized, and then give me copies of his license. For me the mechanic inspection was a snap, as he was a big rig mechanic. So he just filled out that one on his company letterhead for me.
Again, when the time comes, I can help you with the intl. Shipping docs if you like. Also, if you can find someone in the USA that is looking to import at/around the same time as you, & you guys can agree on the port to ship from down there, you could book the trucks into a 40 container & save on shipping.

Digest what we have talked about here, and post up any new questions. I will answer what I can.

Best,
Abe

Abe,

Just leaving for church right now, but I'll chew on what you've said and try to digest it...

Pray for me that I won't get diarrhea or get constipated... :hillbilly:

Thanks again, and have a good Sat. evening!

Mot :)

A pedantic point, but I will bring it up to make things easier for anyone doing an export: We do not have 'Notaries' or 'notarisation' as-such in Australia. Most Aussies do not even know what this is.

What we do have (and what works in the US in lieu of a notary) is to have the signature 'witnessed by a Justice of the Peace' (or 'JP'). JP's are different here than they are in the US, and they are easy to come by. They have a stamp that says they have witnessed the person signing the document and that they have verified that person's identity. Most banks and Credit Unions offer this service for free.

Having a copy of the driver's licence is a very good idea as well.

Cheers,

Josh

Mot quote: Just leaving for church right now............
Pray for me that I won't get diarrhea or get constipated.....

Yep, a real boring sermon can do that to a guy !!

Thanks (again), Josh for the info!
I'm going to have a hard time comprehending all this info, but hopefully I'll have a better grasp of it all once I read this thing over two dozen times or so. :hillbilly:

Bear said:
Yep, a real boring sermon can do that to a guy !!
Hey, it was all good.

I only had to go three times! :flipoff2:

Well as I'm the guy that has these cars listed I'd better respond. Thanks for the apology but I think the damage has allready been done, I don't usually worry with rubbish like this, but a guy I have been speaking to in the USA mentioned this forum and I said yes I'm a member, I told him to check out what had been said by you fellows.
Now if I have something to hide or was out to rip people off and as you says Abe basically run a scam why would I be telling him about this thread?
He seems like a good bloke and I suppose he was compelled to ask some questions, he is also one of the reasons why Im replying.
Yes I"m fresh at this but I dont think any one else doing it was born with the abillity.
My prices might be off or on the mark but they are allways adjustable and ultimately the customers will dictate prices.
I"m not comfortable coming on this forum posting messages with a little hint on selling products, I may advertise here when we have a website but its not my style to make a large entrance trying to take business off the guys shipping them over allready. I can find my own customers, Im only here thanks to some false remarks.
Now ive tackled quite a few jobs in my career, I have a trade, ran my own small business for ten years, and Im probably most proud of running out back prospecting tours for awhile, so If you guys are implying I cant ship vehicles overseas smoothly well you had better think again. Preparing and handling the logistics of a outback tours with say 15 overseas customers you have to look after and not lose in the scrub, well I can handle anything these days after that job.
It saddens me to see remarks like this about people or businesses when you have no contact or experience with the forementioned, and if my grammer is not good enough for the other bloke, well so be it , Im not highly educated and don't pretend to be.
Before posting bull**** on a public forum next time, if you have a problem or think Im a scam artist why don't you call me instead.

Goldchaser

Mobile no (61) 0429 480 398

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom