1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e-bay sniping

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by brian, Jul 16, 2005.

1. brian

brian SILVER Star

yeah, so now that i have a full-on ebay addiction, i have also discovered a hatred for sniping.
    yet once agian i was beat with ~2secs to go :whoops: :mad: :mad:
    although it *clearly* works i will not go there.
    damn 60year old canvas, who wants it anyway........

2. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

I feel your pain; however, this was discussed at length not long ago.

3. RavenTai

RavenTai

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/g-sniping.html

Bid what you think the item is worth to you and this won’t happen. If somebody snipes at the end for more than you think it was worth then it was best to let it pass.

I snipe just about every auction. Because most people do not bid right instead trying try to lowball or nibble it makes for cheaper prices for me.

4. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

I have bought quite a bit of stuff from the U.S.A. I often get sniped as I am on dial up, win some lose some, so what. Gives me the s***s when I email and ask if they are prepared to ship to Australia and get back , no we do not ship to AUSTRIA. This has happened several times, must be the Oz accent on the keyboard .

5. brian

brian SILVER Star

as i do, but getting beat by .25-.50 cents, not even a dollar, does get kind of old.....

6. RavenTai

RavenTai

I know what you are saying, you would have paid that $.25 or $.50 or $2.50 but you don’t know what the highest bidders proxy bid was, when you are the second highest bidder you are always beat by one bid increment so basically you decide the price. The highest bidder may have bid $100 more than you but you would never see that, their proxy bid is kept confidential.

7. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

I hate sniping too, when I'm on the loosing end anyways. :) I just put my highest bid in at the end. If it gets it fine, if it doesn't, fine.

8. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Gawd, I hate snipers...but I love to snipe.

Oh no! I must hate myself....hmmmm...I've got to think about that one for a while...

Fawk it...I think I like sniping more than I hate snipers. :D

I think it's the nature of the people on the site. I don't buy much from ebay, so it really hasn't affected me much, but it can suck.

9. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

I've used auctionssniper.com effectively for a number of auction wins. It doesn't work every time but it works often enough for me and I don't hate myself one bit for it. Ebay is an unrealistic, on line, version of a real auction. If they wanted to make it fair and authentic they'd end the auction five minutes after tha last bid. That's the way it works in a real life auction. No one gets sniped then.

10. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

That's what I like about gunbroker.com: there is NEVER a snipe as no auction is allowed to end until there has been a 15-minute quiescent period after the auction end time. If folks keep bidding, then the auction continues. This is actually better for sellers because there are often more (and thus HIGHER) final bids than would otherwise result. Tell me all you want about proxy--I use it, I understand it, I've won with it--however, I still hate snipers.

11. Tentsontop

Tentsontop

Why don't Ozzies ship to the US? I've found tons of LC stuff on Ebay.AU. 99% don't ship to the US. BTW - sniping is the only way to go! :D

12. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

Jenny,,, Australia as in Oz the land down under. Austria as in next to Germany in Europe.
    Hard for me to understand also ,filling out a Customs declaration is no big deal.The only problem is collecting the money in Oz , a bank cheque or such has high charges, a western Union money order for Au$65.00 that was refunded to me by western union cost me $13.00 to be put back in my bank.May have been $19.00 not quite sure now.If the person is set up for paypal it should not be a problem. Also using Western union bid pay takes about 4 weeks to go through.

13. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I have had no one not ship to me from OZ(or anyplace in the world)........nothing big however

14. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Hey, if you can't figure out what something is worth to you and just enter that amount and never exceed it....

Don't hate me just cause I can decide what something is worth to me, and choose to enter my bid in the last few seconds of an auction. THere's nothing wrong or illegal about it.

I save money that way. If I say "this is worth a maximum of $XXXX to me, I enter it and it isn't enough and I lose an item, I don't care. It's Ebay, chances are there will be another one exactly like it in a couple days. I choose not to partake in the frenzy-- ok, I'll bid one dollar more... OK, just one more.... Hey, If i was willing to spend 150, why not 151? OK, I was willing to spend 151, so why not 152, it's only $1.... and you wind up "it's only $1 more"ing yourself till you wind up paying $20 more for something than it's worth.

Fred

15. ar2stp48

ar2stp48

Ebay is stuff we "want", right? No anything we must have to survive. If I win, good; if I get out bid then too bad. Dont care for nor use sniper.
    Last item I lost was a real screw up on my part--stupid move.
    A fj40 item came up with BIN of $35. No, I opened ar $12 or so; final winning bid was $57. Mad at myself but the buyer want it more.

16. Tentsontop

Tentsontop

That's the magic of ebay. Gotta love it!

17. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

Can anyone tell me [others too] if they have sent or imported large items that were too big or too heavy to be sent by post internationaly.
    My experience has been sending large parcels is best done by U.S.P.S. [from the USA to Oz] Cheaper than the couriers and the higher $ limit before there are any Custom charges.
    Delivery time varies between 8 to14 weeks depending which part of the USA its posted from.Items like body panels or bullbars are too large or else too heavy to send by USPS or Aust Post,can anyone reccommend another alternative. thanks.

18. MD11Fr8Dog

MD11Fr8Dog CM09 Eight Ball winner

19. DocB

DocB

I sniped up my V8J60 a year ago for 3160 bucks. Yes, I have had a blast with it and it was nicer than I thought when I picked it up. Yes, I drove it straight home from Nor Cal to Texas (stopping in LA to visit SOR). Yes, it is very fast for a 60 and has a near perfect body. But I feel SOOO guilty for sniping.

20. honk

honk

Media:
    At least there's one consolation for you Brian - you're not alone. People have been whining and snivelling about snipers since the day ebay began.