Dynamax/FatMat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Have any of you used the Dynamax Extreme or Fat Mat or similar kind of sound isolation/heat improvement materials?
I have done some research and found so far that Dynamax Extreme is the way to go..however it is $340 for 100sq ft to cover the whole vehicle.

I was thinking of doing my whole interior which would improve the noise especially on long highway trips with lift kit, roof rack, mud tires etc.

Thought? Comments?

Used on doors- greater bass resonance from speakers, less road vibration, a more solid feel...that's about it...not much to be spectacular, it is an FJ60 and honestly my windows are rolled down most of the time anyway.

I've read that the greatest noise reduction occurs from matting the firewall and floor pan, followed by inside roof and hood (don't know if I believe that one), doors seem to be one if the last things to mat as far as bang the buck but do require minimal effort compared to other areas.

As stated, I have no frame of reference between vendors- I went with online research and what my pocket could bear-

I have secondskin damplifier pro covering my doors, cargo area and rear quarters. It's quieter than the LS430, if you put stock tires and exhaust on.

The CLD like dynamat and the rest are only one part of the noise puzzle. To really cut noise you need some CCF(closed cell foam) & MLV(mass loaded vinyl).

I used dynamat on Amy, check the build thread for the bits I did. It makes a big difference (especially the doors). my front floor pan has not been done but I would still like to!

I've used dynamat and brown bread in various combinations on more than ten vehicles over the years. The result is incredible if done right. The only vehicle that ever came close to complete silence on the highway was my 740 untouched from the factory. That thing was ridiculously quiet.

Honestly, I know nothing about fatmat but if it's anything like brown bread, it should be worth it.

The worst case I had was a 2003 4Runner lifted (2 times) and running 35" Toyo MT's which as you might know sound like a crop duster when you're running down the highway. I did the entire vehicle.

The end result was that even with those 35 MT's, you could only hear the air blowing through the vents on the highway (some bump vibe but not much), even when on low you could hear the breeze. I'd definitely do it again but so far I haven't found much of a reason to do it to the 100. I'm running Hankook Dynapro AT's and I don't really notice it. I have ran Toyo AT's, BFG ATko's, Michelin Highway Crap and Nitto AT's on my 100.

The driveshaft however does need to be re-indexed (after me pulling and not marking it) as I have a vibe right around 70-73.

:bang:

I used fatmat rattle trap to cover the floor of the rear cargo area. I also covered the wheel wells with two layers. When I replaced the door speakers, I covered the door panels too. There is no rattle or vibration from the speakers.

I can't speak to the rear cargo area being any quieter but it's because it is still torn apart. I am chasing down a water leak. I can report back once I get it back together. I would venture to guess that any improvement would be worthwhile.

I'm only half-way through the sound insulation install on my 100. So far the front doors, the rear cargo area, rear lift gate, and half the second row are complete.

Still need to do the rear doors, the rest of the second row, and the front.

Used Dynamat Extreme, Dynaliner, and Focal BAM purchased from a local audio shop for sale.

May try something different up front though - haven't decided yet.

The big difference - at least for my ears - was getting rid of the "unwanted" noises. Covering the rear wheel wells, doors and floor have all made a noticeable difference.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=718809&stc=1&d=1358820111

I just bought 3 of the Dynamat Extreme off amazon... I think that should be enough. I found a local guy to install it. I wish I had the time to do it myself.
I'm planning on doing the floor, all 5 doors. goes in next Thursday.
Any tips or things I should think about before going forward?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom