Dyna Beads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about using this Tire Balancing Products when I get my 33X12.50R15 BFG MUD KM2's for my 85 FJ60. Any body use them? What are the good and bad things about them?

I'm planning on using the same method to balance my 35x12.5's. A couple of things that I have learned so far through research:

-Do not balance extremely wide tires well
-The brand name DynaBeads can be substituted for plastic bb pellets
-There are specific weights ( in oz ) of beads to use for particular tire sizes ( yet to find these weights )
-There are two types of beads, the plastic bb style and smaller ceramic style
- Ceramic style can be loaded through an open valve stem but might blow out while airing down
- Plastic beads won't blow out when airing down but have to be loaded by splitting the bead

I'm excited to learn more about this method.

Last edited:
I've used 'em for the past two years and now won't use anything else. They're outstanding. If your tires are way out of balance, you'll feel it until you hit about 20-25 MPH, and then it smoothes right out. I run them in my 31" mud terrains and will be putting them in the A/Ts once I get those.

Also, using a little more than what's needed doesn't hurt balancing, but obviously way too much will just add extra weight.

The glass beads are actually ceramic (yeah pretty much the same thing), and IIRC they came with (I know I have them installed, but just can't remember for sure if I had to order 'em separately) "filtered" valve cores to prevent losing beads (or jamming the core) when you air down your tires.

I forgot to mention that I will be going with staun Internal bead-locks and was wondering if they still will work with them?

Dynabeads are ceramic

Counterbalance are glass (another product that does the same thing)

Yes, these can be put in through the valve stem if the core is removed. A good weight per tire to start with can be found off of the dynabead website, HERE.

Cheaper options for dynamic balancing are Airsoft pellets (plastic) and BBs (metal).

Yes, these are too big to fit in the valve stem and so you have to break the bead to get them in there. Since they are bigger they are easier to recover or replace since they are found most everywhere. However, since they are bigger they won't distribute as well as the smaller media and might not last as long as the ceramic or glass media.

I would think trying to run a small media balance with staun bead locks might cause some problems with the media getting stuck underneath over time. Even the bigger media might get stuck. Have you talked to staun yet about this kind of balancing with their bead locks? Maybe they've tested it already. Maybe searching to see what kind of balance those with Military H1 wheels are using could help since they run and internal system too (even though it's a little different).

I run antifreeze in my wheeling tires. As I say in the referenced thread, no one has told me why it's a bad idea yet, and it's cheaper and theoretically smoother acting than the dynabeads.

Ok im stumped :meh:. Can anyone explain why they work?
It would seem to me that when you're driving, these beads, through cetrifigal force, will just gather at any point which is furthest from the centre of the wheel which may or may not be a light point in the tyre. Sounds pretty random to me.

The tire rotates about its center of mass. When the tire is out of balance, the center of mass closer to the heavy side, further from the light side, so the light side "sticks out" as the tire rotates, and something mobile inside the tire (fluid, or beads, or golf balls) migrates to the light side since it "sticks out". The fluid/beads move to the light side till things are balanced, then the tire is dynamically balanced pulling the center of mass back to the center of the tire/wheel combo, and there is no more drive for the beads/fluid to move further.

I run antifreeze in my wheeling tires. As I say in the referenced thread, no one has told me why it's a bad idea yet, and it's cheaper and theoretically smoother acting than the dynabeads.

Really? What if you split a bead and the coolant got all over the trail?

I won't be doing that, but there was a thread a while ago with Mace I think filling the tires on their 40 with water.

Really? What if you split a bead and the coolant got all over the trail?

I won't be doing that, but there was a thread a while ago with Mace I think filling the tires on their 40 with water.

I should clarify, I run about 2 cups of antifreeze in each tire.

I should clarify, I run about 2 cups of antifreeze in each tire.

Well still. When you're airing down, does any of the coolant come out of the valve core? Any corrosion on the interior of the rim?

Just picked up the Airsoft pellets tonight. Dynabeads website said that I would need 8oz to balance a 285/75R16 LRE. Using the kitchen scale, I now have 4 bags of beads ready to put in the tire tomorrow. Here's to hoping this works :beer:

Well still. When you're airing down, does any of the coolant come out of the valve core? Any corrosion on the interior of the rim?

No, and I doubt it, coolant has corrosion inhibitors, doesn't it? I would imagine there is lots of moisture in the average tire from being fed compressed air anyway.

Just picked up the Airsoft pellets tonight. Dynabeads website said that I would need 8oz to balance a 285/75R16 LRE. Using the kitchen scale, I now have 4 bags of beads ready to put in the tire tomorrow. Here's to hoping this works :beer:

Good luck!!

No, and I doubt it, coolant has corrosion inhibitors, doesn't it? I would imagine there is lots of moisture in the average tire from being fed compressed air anyway.

Gotcha. I think I'll stick with pellets.

I forgot to mention that I will be going with staun Internal bead-locks and was wondering if they still will work with them?
I called ARB USA and ask them that very question, yes they do work. A lot of competition rock crawlers use Stuan bead locks with lead shot and have no issues so the air soft pellets should be no issue.

I had those beads in my 35's when I first bought the tires 4 years ago... i made it 5 miles down the road and turned around to have them removed. They worked at speeds of 45 mph and greater for me. However, under 35 mph and it felt as though I didn't even have the tires balanced. Personally..... I will never use them again.
My 2 cents!
<')))><

So you leave them in for the life of the tires? I keep hearing people talk about taking them out but if you pull a bead off and pull them out then it would seem like the tire goes on differently and would not be balanced still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom