Dying / Sputtering under load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 79' 2f is dying under load. It has a weber 38. With light, steady throttle, it revs smooth. Took carb apart, cleaned with no change. Filter is new, fuel pump is new. Along with the dying out, it takes a minute before it starts up, but once it starts it idles great. I can see fuel squirt when i apply throttle.

Please help!

Do you know what pressure it puts out. Could still be fuel starvation. I run the 38 and heard on here that the stock fuel pump is too strong for it and a regulator was needed to bring the pressure down to 3 or 3.5. My experience was that I could not run the regulator at all as it restricted the pressure too much, even turned all the way up. I experienced similar symptons to what youare decsribing with regulator in place. Idle was fine could roll into the throttle steady and it did fine but in long gears under load it would stall out and try to die. I removed the regulator and it has run great ever since. You might still have a fuel restriction somewhere. Could be the pump or could be a partially clogged jet?

not sure on the pressure but i am running the carter 4070 electric fuel pump that weber recommends.

Does anyone think it could be a weak coil in my hei distributor? Sometimes it starts fine sometimes not. I can turn the distributor ccw and get it to start but it doesn't run smooth. I turn it back to smooth it out and sometimes it fires right up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom