Dying LJ78.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.aventuraargentina.com
hi all,

My LJ78 appears to have died. Problem is, i live in Argentina and it died in Bolivia, so this forum maybe my saviour in rescuing it, or at least giving me some info to pass to the (dubious) Bolivian mechanics...

Basically, it's been overheating a lot recently, particularly on climbs. I thought it maybe the altitude effecting compression (3000m plus asl) but when i took it down to sea-level problems continued. Radiator has been cleaned, all filters replaced, oil changes have been regular. She had a new head gasket (impactadora / junta) to see if this rectified it, old one looked pretty burnt. still no difference though. It seems to me that the water isn't circulating properly (no noises from pump though). Tried changing thermostat for one that opens at 75 degrees instead of 88, also ran it with no thermostat at all. Fan has been fixed, so no viscous coupling to go wrong.

Symptons are strange. Needle indicates its running quite cold until it suddenly climbs towards the red, by which time i stop, take the cap off and the vapor and boiling water eject about 6 feet..... Once cool, i can empty 7 litres of water back, this means in a few miles its either lost 7 litres or turned it to vapor, which seems a lot. No apparent leaks though....

Also, possibly a linked cause, exhaust puts out thick black smoke on acceleration, and not just at start up, all the time. Cleaned the injectors but this didn't really help.

Any one experienced similar problems and have any ideas. !!

cheers!

Others on this forum have had similar problems and it was always a cracked cyl head.
As for your disappearing coolant ,much of the 7 litres could be accounted for when you take the cap off and it erupts.

The black smoke means you are probably overfuelling and the pump needs adjustment(check air filter 1st).
This can add to your overheating woes but I doubt it is the primary cause

HI, sorry to hear your prado woes. A lot of us been there. You best to spend an afternoon searching and reading posts on here and other Hilux surf forums like Aus and UK. Your symptoms are typical cracked head B.S. If you decide to fix it, I would go with the 3L head and bleed kit from Allhead in Aus, with their waterpump. Gut the EGR/smof exhaust stuff - go with oversized straight-pipe - ditch muffler/resonator. Stick bigger rad in, external auto. trans cooler (if yours is auto). Put a hood scoop on it (?? just a thought). DITCH that Piece of SH&T mech TEMP GAUGE!!! Put new mech water temp in, plus exhaust pyrometer. Since your stuck with big climbs I think you gotta really work ($$) on this engine to give it the best chance of survival, plus drive it with a very light foot on the hills with higher sustained revs (ie. drop a gear than what you would like to be in), sit back and enjoy the view.
Either that or get out at a viewpoint with it accidently still in gear. :eek:
Good lUck!
Johnny

thanks for the tips. will take this list (translated into spanish:frown: ) to the mechanics, see what they come up with. When i spoke to him today (on a bad line) it was something about replacing the rings so that the compression was forced downwards not upwards. Does that make any sense?

LOL!!
you are kidding right?
how do springs force the compression downward??

please ask him to explain in detail how this is done, i am very interested..

apart from blow-by pressurizing of the crankcase - which some is normal I believe - I cant figure out what this means also, or how it relates to your cooling problem!

:confused:

i dont think taking the rad cap off when hot is smart its a good way to get FAWKING BURNT
hey 2rivers what tranny cooler did you put in , i think its time for one
aaron

aaron, being winter here its a project still on the sidelines, but I plan on heading to some wrecking yards in the LM and have a look-see, but then again, knowing them guys it may be cheaper to get a new one from Napa. I think it will be a good mod - directing any heat away from the alredy over-taxed poorly designed cooling system on these 2lte is a good bet.

the other thing you might want to consider is a hood scoop to direct cool air down onto the head and turbo...

the 2lte is holding out pretty good even after the thermostat modifications i noticed last weekend in the mountains up above HOWE SOUND ELEV. 1400M
ON A VERY STEEP SWITCHBACK THAT WAS WASHED OUT 4HI IN 1ST IT SEEMED LIKE THE A343 WANTED TO CUT OUT I THINK IT WAS A JOB FOR 4LO
THE FLUID IS FINE EVERY CHANCE I GET I LOOK AT THE COOLENT OVERFLOW
I USE THE PRADO AND PUT IT IN WICKED SITUATIONS BUT WITH ALL THE BAD NEWS I SOMETIMES GET SCARED MAYBE ITS TIME FOR A 13BT
AARON

2rivers ive delt with and seen most of the junk in the scrapyards here, i would get new
aaron

well, it seems the dying LJ78 needs a new cylinder head, although there´s no fissures or visible damage on the top where it was planed smooth.
Problem is, out here, a new one sets me back 1400 USD, and it will be the second one its had in 1 year.
Do i come to terms with the fact that the 2L TE is not cut out for this climate (hills, altitude), try to sell it for peanuts and put the money into something with a stronger engine, or is it worth repairing and adding some mods to make sure it doesn´t happen again...????
Or, can i put a 3L engine without changing too much other stuff aswell?

the 3L will also die a painful death..unload it and get something with durability built in...
NOTHING smaller than a 3.4 in Toyota. the mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 is a good engine with a good track record...

the 3L will also die a painful death..unload it and get something with durability built in...
NOTHING smaller than a 3.4 in Toyota. the mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 is a good engine with a good track record...

mitsi 2.5 is as big a POS as a 2lte:flipoff2:
13bt or 1pz (5cyl)
what ever you do cooling has to be number 1 ,you over heat a toyota once and 9/10 thats it:crybaby:
my 2c

if the mits 2.5 is crao then i will find out and have no problem posting it up...
so far the Delica and Pajeros have been holding up well with Canadina roads with the enlarged exhaust and a pyro installed AND FOLLOWED. (way better than the 2.4...at least so far)

yes you are right the mitsus are hard to start and now i know owners that have booooooom pow problems all different cases

i agree compared to the track record of the 2.4 the newer 2.5 is better my friend has crank walk syndrome and another blew up infront of me on the way to whistler last weekend that sucks

yes you are right the mitsus are hard to start and now i know owners that have booooooom pow problems all different cases

boooom pow?? care to expand?

one blew up on the way to whistler? the 2.4 or the 2.5?

my ski buddy his pajero blew ill look into posting his block pictures soon it was messy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom