Dutch Oven Camp Cooking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Here is a good article on using a Dutch Oven on the trail. Recipes included.

Yep, camp oven always gets packed. Chicken stew, rabbit stew, goat stew, all excellent when out in the oz bush. Fresh baked bread that barely lasts the day because it is sooo good. Even the odd cake gets made.

Al-foil to line the oven makes clean up a lots easier (serious lack of water in most parts of oz). As least we have plenty of wood in most areas - even arid places.

cheers,
george.

Pound for pound, a dutch oven is gold even when space is at a premium. Love to learn new recipes for all the cast iron I carry around.

One of my favorites -- Prime Rib Roast in the deep-12 and potatoes baking in my 100-year old 14.

Rib-N-Spud.jpg

I have had good luck with this chart...gives me a starting point YMMV of course. Good luck and happy camping!

I have found them a pain to bring. They are heavy, take up too much room and are tough to use in the windy areas I camp. I use it around the house sometimes but I have yet to find anything that turns out better in the dutch than the regular house oven.

I certainly can't backpack a dutch oven very far, but if you're vehicle camping or boating, the weight isn't on you.

As to the wind, if you were going through an area where a fire would be a problem, but stoves are allowed, you could pack a coleman stove and folding coleman oven. Your cooking results won't be as good as the dutch oven here though.

I use the enamelled one here in the kitchen as well, and test recipies for the trail during the offseason.

Another potential is the reflector oven, it needs a tall raging fire, and while much lighter and smaller to pack, it is inefficient with fuel.

They should be called elk hunting ovens

One of the best things I’ve seen with a Dutch oven is to bring a galvanized pan or a small steel automotive drip pan to contain the coals and provide a flat surface to set the oven on. It works really well if you don’t want to make some kind of fire pit,sets up quick and makes campsite clean up easy. The galvanized pan keeps the wind from blowing embers to surrounding vegetation.

I haven't read it here yet, but another potential downside of the dutch oven is for the longer oven recipes like meat and bread, you have to bring charcoal briquettes with you, unless you want to make charcoal in the field, which might be tough to manage.

I suppose, go prepared, that's all. There might be enough space in the oven to hold a weekend's charcoal.

Bread in the oz desert a couple of months back.

I've learned to line with al foil to make clean up quick and easy. Use compressed air to blow off all ash etc prior to removing lid. You can see ash etc to the right of the camp oven.

Fresh cooked bread - yum! ?)

cheers,
george.

bread.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom