Dustless paint blasting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex Waddell

SILVER Star
Threads
I am planning on repainting my 68 FJ40 and it looks like dustless blasting may be a good option to take the old paint off.
I got a quote from a guy here in town that said he could do it for $1500.

Another option would be to do it myself with one of these units for $69.95.
These are also made by other manufacturers.

However, you need a power washer that produces 2500 psi to 5000 psi to use it.
The going price for these washers go from $150 to thousands of dollars.

The decision to pay the guy $1500 or to do it myself turns on the size of the power washer that I would need to buy for it.

Has anyone used a wet dustless blaster and if so, did it remove paint well?
And what water pressure and flow rate did you need?

My opinion is to use the dustless way. Reason is they will do a good job and you will not be accumulating items just to find out it would be better to have it done. Sandblasting a whole car is a lot. Plus, it is dustless. Not sure if you ever were around the the "non dustless" way .

It's not a fun process to do. I'd let someone else do it if it were my project.

My experience is with glass bead blasting at work that required an expensive screw compressor to run.
As I understand it, dustless blasting is water based and does not need an air compressor.
If I could rent or buy a gas powered water power washer plus the $70 tool (that adds the abrasive to the water), it may save some $$$.
I can rent a power washer for between $50 - $100 per day. I am hoping that someone here has experience with sizing a washer.

Brian @whitey45 has experience, maybe he’ll chime in.

Alex,

I blasted my whole Fj45 pickup with $100 wet sandblasting knozzle, and Honda 3300 psi I bought on craigslist for $100! Cleaned the carb and I was ready. I think I used 30 50lb bags of #30 sand @ $5.00 a bag. So I am around $350 all in. I have used it now on so many little projects, it’s very handy to have. To me it’s paid off big time. Cons, you need space to make a mess!! You will find sand in every nook and cranny, including yourself. You do need at least 3000psi. It works really well, but does take a bit of time. I think I have 8 hours of blasting. I did a corvette frame recently and it took me around 3 hours and about 600 lbs of sand. Not having to farm out work makes it worth it to me.

Brian

I built a sandblaster this summer from an old compressor tank that holds 200lbs of sand for about $350 total. I upgraded my compressor to an industrial unit for $1500. I now sandblast everything from all of the parts on the landcruiser to old tools, patio furniture etc, and then paint them with epoxy paint before finishing. The choice is having someone do it for your one project so you do not have the expense of buying equipment and storing pallets of sand or buy all of the equipment and have it available for all of the projects you find yourself getting into. You have to ask yourself, Do I feel lucky?

Alex,

I blasted my whole Fj45 pickup with $100 wet sandblasting knozzle, and Honda 3300 psi I bought on craigslist for $100! Cleaned the carb and I was ready. I think I used 30 50lb bags of #30 sand @ $5.00 a bag. So I am around $350 all in. I have used it now on so many little projects, it’s very handy to have. To me it’s paid off big time. Cons, you need space to make a mess!! You will find sand in every nook and cranny, including yourself. You do need at least 3000psi. It works really well, but does take a bit of time. I think I have 8 hours of blasting. I did a corvette frame recently and it took me around 3 hours and about 600 lbs of sand. Not having to farm out work makes it worth it to me.

Brian
That's exactly the information that I needed. Thanks!

There is a bunch of YouTube videos on the two options you mention. Between the two, there is quite a difference between the speed of removal and the mess they make. Viewing them ought to help you decide. $1500 seems high to me. I know they need to pay for and maintain their equipment, but actual blasting time isn’t much more than one hour. Even under an hour “HERE”

I have a 13hp pressure washer and every time I need something blasted, I contemplate the wet sandblasting attachment. But then I chicken out and just take a 25-minute ride to drop it off at a place that does all types of blasting on anything large or small. The prices are reasonable, and I believe it’s because there all set up and don’t have to travel.

You also are intoducing water to a freshly blasted surface as well. I would be deathly afraid of all the possible rust if it is not dried well. You probably won't be able to blast any panels as well. I would think that you could really warp panels with the high pressure water if they are not attached and supported.

Last edited:
I had a dewalt power washer 3000+ psi and bought one of those attachments. IMHO it’s not worth the aggravation. There is a a lot of surface area on a 40 and it makes a mess!!! You will need lots of media and it will flash rust quick. I did the rear underside and decided it’s not worth to do more. Are you really sure you need the whole body blasted or just some areas. My experience with regular media blasting is that you need an oversized compressor or you’ll be at it a long time. Unless you plan to blast a lot down the road your probably better off farming out and focusing your attention on other things.

by the time you buy all the stuff you need you’ll be close to 1k.

350 in sand. A 40 has more surface area than a 45 when you factor doors and top.

I dry sandblasted my tub at my house, so can’t help with your options. I actually just took my doors, hood and top sides to a blaster because I was tired of blasting body panels at home. But 2 things I’d consider.
1. That wet slurry will get in every nook and cranny (as Danger said) and if not properly removed, it’s just going to rust. I think the pros add something to the water to inhibit rust?
2. If you’re a homeowner, having a pressure washer is great, so I think you should buy one anyway. And they are like shops and safes; I’ve never heard anyone say they got one too big.

I dry sandblasted my tub at my house, so can’t help with your options. I actually just took my doors, hood and top sides to a blaster because I was tired of blasting body panels at home. But 2 things I’d consider.
1. That wet slurry will get in every nook and cranny (as Danger said) and if not properly removed, it’s just going to rust. I think the pros add something to the water to inhibit rust?
2. If you’re a homeowner, having a pressure washer is great, so I think you should buy one anyway. And they are like shops and safes; I’ve never heard anyone say they got one too big.

Skreddy - Who did you use local for the blaster? I wasn't too keen on the place that did my tub and would like to find someone else to do my doors and hood.

Keith

Do blasters do inside of doors?

Well media will get in there and lots of it. You can generally get some of it but not all. Think about trying to use an attachment or gun and holding the blast gun in a tight narrow opening—-not that easy. And you’ll need to make sure your not focusing the media in one spot too long

Please note that "wet blasting" is not the same as dustless blasting. Dustless blasting uses mountains of compressed air and a little bit of water whereas wet blasting uses water pressure to propel the media. I bought one of those wet blasters and have a 3000psi/2.5 gpm pressure washer. After going through one bucket of media I stopped and never used it again. It was a serious mess, and quite frankly didn't strip the rust off very fast. I went back to "dry" blasting, which is also a mess, but I can get the metal very clean and I haven't had any problems with sheet metal warping.

Hi, Personally I have never found that buying the right tools to be a bad investment. Farming work out on your cruiser assumes the person doing the work loves your cruiser as much as you do...doubtful . Mike

Do blasters do inside of doors?

They did mine when I had my stuff blasted. They are pretty dang thorough if you ask them to get stuff.

I will ad that at first I was discouraged , was taking a long time, but after about an hour of experimenting, I found that lowering the pressure to just the right amount really increased the Venturi effect. AND very important, I only blast on hot sunny days and the sand had been baking in the sun! This also helps with getting it dry quickly and then it’s an hour of air blasting all the sand out. It then gets primed ASAP. It will flash rust if this is not done. I had no issue with any panel warping ( 67 45 does have thick sheet metal. Here is a corvette frame I did a few weeks ago.
76C1A72F-C149-4248-BB94-557899D4D896.jpeg
7F4FCDC0-76C5-4625-93BC-2243BD2156A7.jpeg
9E7D0946-B5D2-474F-937E-547B4CF897D6.jpeg
11E11D56-69EF-4AEE-B542-8E86A91A74EF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom