Dust infiltration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed the 97 I am driving let's a lot more dust into the vehicle compared to my old 91. It even happens when I am not following or eating dust from another vehicle. It seems like this 97 just wants to suck up it's own dust.

Are there common areas where dust can get into these rigs?

Has anyone figured out a way to mitigate the infiltration of dust on our 80 series?

Thanks

Rear tail light seals, bottom of quarter panels also have holes to allow for drainage, there will also be drain holes at the bottom of the fenders near the passenger compartment. Dust will also get by the old window seals as well.

In the process of doing a lot of work on mine, the passenger quarter panel had at least two full cups of dirt/crud in the bottom. about a cup under the jack as well. In addition to the openings at the bottom, I could see daylight around my rear tailight. The marker lights will also allow dust in.

Well both of my rear tail light areas have been smashed and there are definitely gaps around the tail lights. I am not sure how to seal the taillight area other than going to a body shop.... maybe I should just squirt some silicone around the tail lights.

Window seals are good but I have never replaced the door seals.

Well if you tail lamp bucket area is smashed water and dirt will get through their. Water is the worst part for that area because it will sit at the bottom of the quarter panel and rust it out. The factory sealant for the quarter panel tail lamp buckets is butyl rope.
That's great to hear, I didn't even think about using butyl rope and I even have a roll of it sitting in the garage. That sounds much better than silicone.

Last edited:
Lead all your trips :grinpimp:

Haha, that's the problem. Most of my trips are solo or I usually am leading. I will be the only vehicle for miles with zero dust in front of me and all of a sudden the rig will be full of dust.

I didn't think of the tail light area.... I am excited to seal these up and see if I get an improvement.

It is definitely worse than my last cruiser, when I have a strong tailwind I feel like this guy in the plane.....

33er7z.jpg

Got sick of that too.
Fwiw. When I had my everything apart I packed the quarter panel pockets with chucks of open cell foam. I have prob 3-4 cubic feet stuffed in there and around things on both sides. (Not dense enough to completely compress the foam) on the theory that it will catch dust and drain water. Seems be working....so far. Next Death Valley trip will be the real tell.