Duramax my FJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on my third 40 series. I just purchased an '02 duramax engine and 6-speed tranny(zfs6-650). I'd like to run this engine in my Cruiser. I'm looking for any one out there that might have some insight as to how to wire this monster. I'm very savvy in the shop but need some help.
dan
Haines, Alaska
907-766-3331 :bounce:

sounds like a very cool swap.. have you considered the weight of your motor? what are you gonna do for front springs?? sounds pretty cool, but i think you have some pretty big issuse to work out..

my buddy has a 400 sbc in his '40.. breaks everything that will break. blew a transfer case in half.. the 400 pales in comparison to HP and TQ numbers of the duramax...

post pics!!!!

Awsome idea, post tons of pics as you build this rig up. I'd probably go with an entire drivetrain out of a 1 ton truck, less to worry about as far as component failure goes. The guys at the now defunct Wardens off road in Placerville, Ca were putting a Duramax in a HJ47 series Troopie. This was back in 2002 that I saw this on their website, whether they finished the rig or not I dodn't know. I'd imagine someone here or over on the pirates of the rubican site would know how to reach Danny Warden (I believe that was the owners name).

Fullsizeyota said:
sounds like a very cool swap.. have you considered the weight of your motor? what are you gonna do for front springs?? sounds pretty cool, but i think you have some pretty big issuse to work out..

my buddy has a 400 sbc in his '40.. breaks everything that will break. blew a transfer case in half.. the 400 pales in comparison to HP and TQ numbers of the duramax...

post pics!!!!

Only marginally heavier than an iron inline 6. Will be a nice conversion. Eager to see it when it's done (and along the way).

Duramax considerations

I put a small block 400 that was built well into my last FJ-40. I ran a sm465 tranny and an Atlas II. Dana 60 front with arb locker and 14 bolt rear. I never broke any thing. I think the Duramax is about 100 lbs heavier than the 2F. All the chassis and frame mods are in the bag...I only need help with the electronics controlling the engine, and finding an intercooler that will fit. I'll post some pic's soon.
dan

I would imagine a custom intercooler would be in store, the stock one must be too wide and tall(I beleive they are hung between the frame rails and hang well below the grille). What are you going to use for a radiator, I'd think you'd run into some similar issues with it as you will with installing the intercooler. Try looking around farm/construction equipment suppliers, some of the newer equipment (skid loaders and bulldozers off the top of my head) run small intercooler/radiator setups that would likely fit in a FJ40 with some modification.

Awesome project!!! I want to hear more!!! Details!! :D

worthless_thread_without_pics.gif

post pics!!!!
The dmax weighs about 835lbs and the 3B & 13B-T are right around that weight... almost so close it's scary... so weight won't be a problem.
I put a small block 400 that was built well into my last FJ-40. I ran a sm465 tranny and an Atlas II. Dana 60 front with arb locker and 14 bolt rear. I never broke any thing. I think the Duramax is about 100 lbs heavier than the 2F. All the chassis and frame mods are in the bag...I only need help with the electronics controlling the engine, and finding an intercooler that will fit. I'll post some pic's soon.
dan
LOL a Duramax and at small block 400 are on different planets when it comes to torque. The dmax puts out about 650ft-lbs compared to probably around 350Ft-Lbs(?) for the 400.

LOL a Duramax and at small block 400 are on different planets when it comes to torque. The dmax puts out about 650ft-lbs compared to probably around 350Ft-Lbs(?) for the 400.

Maybe the 2002 Duramax put out 650 lb-ft of torque but the current Duramax puts out over 700 lb-ft of torque. Torque is a force applied at a distance or in SI terms it is newton meters (n-m), in SAE terms it is pound feet (lb-ft).

Awesome project!!! I want to hear more!!! Details!! :D

worthless_thread_without_pics.gif

Nice. This thread is only 5 years old. I doubt there's going to be a whole lot of updates since the OP only has 2 posts total. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom