Duramax FZJ80....The project begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any worries about the weight of the new powerplant combo on the front suspension of the 80?

I love the idea, I'm a big fan of diesel :) Good luck with the build.

Is there a reason for using a patrol TC?

Also if you are going to go for some power on the motor, you might want to look into upgrading the axles.
The stock motor in the fzj80 can twist up the rears. A tuned up DMax will destroy the axles on command.

I'd keep an eye out for a Dana 70 or FF Corp 14 bolt for the rear.

Any worries about the weight of the new powerplant combo on the front suspension of the 80?

I love the idea, I'm a big fan of diesel :) Good luck with the build.

The Duramax is only approx 110Kg (250lbs) heavier than the 1FZFE and 30Kg (80lbs) heavier than the 1HDFT. The Duramax CoG will probably be slightly lower and back from the front diff as compared to the 1FZFE.

Is there a reason for using a patrol TC?

Also if you are going to go for some power on the motor, you might want to look into upgrading the axles.
The stock motor in the fzj80 can twist up the rears. A tuned up DMax will destroy the axles on command.

I'd keep an eye out for a Dana 70 or FF Corp 14 bolt for the rear.

The patrol TC has been proven to handle the power and torque in Australia already plus the billet adaptor is readily available and the Landcruiser TC is not. From alot of people I have spoken to the patrol TC is a very strong unit.

There is an 80 series comp truck over here that is running the standard rear with only an ARB air locker and solid pinion spacer behind a 502 big block pumping out 550RWHP and around 900-1000lb/ft, so far the only problem has been loosened bearing cap bolts.
I am building mine as an outback tourer so I'm not going to be thrashing it (much :D)

Can't wait to see the build up!
What the price different between the Dmax and 1HDFT in Australia?:confused:

I forgot you were in Australia, thus the patrol TC, I was thinking about how difficult it would be to source one over here. Good idea using something easy to find.
About that truck running the big block, he must be the most fortunate guy ever. That's a lot of power to put through that axle.

Can't wait to see the build up!
What the price different between the Dmax and 1HDFT in Australia?:confused:

I got a good price on the LMM and Allison with accessories, ECU/TCM and harnesses. A late model 1HDFT GXL is still commanding around AUD$30K. I was going to upgrade to a 2006 TD 100 series but that would be around AUD$45K change over with the touring barwork etc added on. I will basically have a new (old) 80 series, TD and live axles for around the same as the TD 100 series but it will be a much more capable truck IMO.

I forgot you were in Australia, thus the patrol TC, I was thinking about how difficult it would be to source one over here. Good idea using something easy to find.
About that truck running the big block, he must be the most fortunate guy ever. That's a lot of power to put through that axle.

I will see how the rear axle goes, who in the states supplies a good after market rear axle set? Chrome molly?

The next job I did was remove the front and rear diffs

004.jpg

010.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

Last edited:
I should have the engine and trans in few weeks time :)

Chassis out

0092.jpg

Quick frame knocked up so I could move the body around.

014.jpg

Or a Patrol H260 rear axle. It's a 10.25," 37 spline, 1.51" FF rear axle from the GU. ARB makes a locker for it.

A 14 bolt will be cheaper though.

Wow, I had no idea a patrol axle is that strong, its lame they aren't available in the US.

What kind of availability is there on 14 bolts? I know in Jersey they are everywhere.

Or a Patrol H260 rear axle. It's a 10.25," 37 spline, 1.51" FF rear axle from the GU. ARB makes a locker for it.

the dark side it's all of those here are drum brakes and only 4.30 R&P with no aftermarket chance ..

Edit: italian made 4.88 with no real good feedback in Aus Forums ..

Yeah the H260 is bigger but the pinion support is still the same size as the H233 so strength wise that is the limiting factor.

You blokes still get vehicles with drum brakes?

Unfortunately no, it's dark metallic green. I am going to paint it a Holden colour, still dark green but different.

Yeah the H260 is bigger but the pinion support is still the same size as the H233 so strength wise that is the limiting factor.

You blokes still get vehicles with drum brakes?

not sure new models but GU pickups and GU gasser who are the ones come here with 260 yes .. drums in the rears ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom