Duramax Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering, if anybody has thought about swapping in a modern diesel engine? A D-max can easily put out 700-800 HP, with about 1200-1400 ftlb tourque. That should get the 60 out of its own way! :)

?? why the need for more HP?; maybe a 5 speed would be a better mod......these bricks really were not designed to go fast; to "corner" at speed ...........yep, a bit more torque would be nice + a 5 speed but these trucks were made to loaf along about 55-60 mph with the 2F engine.........just my 2 cents !

Lou

The components all the way down the line are not set up for that kind of power.

Thought about it. Due to the Duramax's width, there isn't room for the 60's steering column. That's not to say you couldn't use a steering rack out of a later truck and figure out a rack & pinion setup.
Computer issues to figure out too. Seem like too costly a conversion.

just take a look at the allison's length...

anything is possible..

Do it and let us know..

I have already thought about it also. I have a company that can do the harness and ECU. The spring over/body offwould be next. Still waiting for a steal on a D-max though. I just want to do it because no one else has. It's a," mines bigger than yours thing" as my wife put's it.

Would be interesting if I had the $$. Might have to run the engine closer to stock, though :)

Not FJ related, but if you're interested in what modern diesels can do, watch Pimp My Ride, Apr 22. Can't say too much, but... (top secret :)

1965 Chevrolet Impala w/ a Duramax diesel running on bio diesel....

Raced against 4 wheel drive 2007 Lamborgini in the quarter mile.....

i think this would be a cool but expensive swap, but i dont think the stock axles will be able to take too much abuse, especially if you plan to up the power or run large rubber. So i think you should consider the cost of upgrading to D60 or 14bolt.

I would not even want to think of the nightmare of putting one of those in and having to work on it. Stay with something cheap and easy to work with a 4bt or a 6bt cummins. The 6bt 12 valve will put way more down than you could ever need in one of these be rest assured plus no wiring or anything.

Hey mace are you saying that all that power wouldnt twist stuff up? not asking to start anything, im just curious.

compare the frames.. it really is not that big of a deal..

The entire core support(and everything else under the outer skin) is so big on a Duramax, that it won't even fit into another chevy truck of the same year...I believe even the frame is different from just under the firewall-forward...

I've heard the cooling system is the biggest hang up (massive radiator & intercooler) getting the setup into another GM truck...What's your 60, 60% of that size under the hood?

Sounds like a nightmare to me, but I want to go for a ride if you do it.

Dunno. I posted the thing about 'Pimp My Ride' earlier. In any case, my brother-in-law built that. But he managed to get a D-Max and Allison tranny all stuffed into a 65 Chevy. I'm still trying to get pics - but kinda top secret till the episode airs

I any case though, it all fit, turbos, cooling, etc... and also, I doubt the frame on a 65 chevy is any much stronger than a LC. I know the rear axle they put in was a Ford 9" with Detroit Locker

Maybe I'll have to donate my 60 to him for a couple of months and tell him - go for it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom