Durability of JW Speaker headlight lenses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So are they glass or some sort of polycarbonate? I ask because just yesterday one of my Hella H4 housings took a rock that broke the glass lens, so I've got a set of the JW headlights on order but I'm wondering if it'll be necessary to put some sort of protective film over the lenses like I in hindsight should've done with my Hella housings.

IMG_20191211_095349.jpg

They're polycarbonate. I don't have enough miles on mine to confirm how tough they are. For their price and popularity with commercial trucks and buses; I'd expect them to be very resilient. Commercial operators wouldn't tolerate poor performance and the inspection fines for inop equipment.

I think a headlight getting busted by a rock strike twice is about as rare as getting hit by lightning.

i’ve had two of my hella housings break from rocks. i don’t think it’s that rare if an event. at least here in bloody cold central canada there’s a lot of gravel that gets used on the roads. stone chips are more a norm than a clean windshield. i’m looking at some polycarbonate lens options for my next replacement

i’ve had two of my hella housings break from rocks. i don’t think it’s that rare if an event. at least here in bloody cold central canada there’s a lot of gravel that gets used on the roads. stone chips are more a norm than a clean windshield. i’m looking at some polycarbonate lens options for my next replacement
I'm in Canada lite (montana) 3/4 of our roads are gravel or rocky dirt. The JW's have held up great. I have three sets on various trucks that see a lot of time in the dirt and snow.

I think a headlight getting busted by a rock strike twice is about as rare as getting hit by lightning.
You apparently aren't familiar with the way my luck goes (where's the emoji that signifies laughter fading into crying?)

I have had mine for 5 years with dirt and paved roads with zero issues.... great headlights...

Putting a protective overlay like Xpel is good insurance from rocks and sandblasting that takes place from HWY driving. Will also help keep the lens from getting hazy over time.

Closing it on three years with mine driven daily, not a scratch on them.

I prefer glass headlights since they don't get hazy or scratch and can tolerate high wattage bulbs. On my 40, I ran stone guards like Saucerman suggested. Cheap and effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom