Durability of 100's vs 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I bought my 100 last year from the dealership in Tempe, AZ, I've noticed from Mud (and with my own truck) a lot of failures of things (alternators, starters, tension pulleys, etc.) that seemed to be not a problem on 80's. In other words, 100's don't seem to be as durable, if that's the correct word, as do 80's. Although they certainly are more comfortable. My 80 has over 300,000 miles on it and is getting by just fine on new starter contacts, new alternator diodes, etc., rather than new starter, new alternator, etc., that 100's seem to need. Is that because most people take their 100's to the dealership and most 80 owners do the work themselves? Or is all of this simply my perception?
I really like the 100 but I've not-so-slowly been rebuilding it piece by expensive piece, as opposed to my $10,000 80 that I bought 11 years ago and it just chugs along, albeit it "chugs" along with meticulous maintenance, never letting me down.
Ned

I personally have had extremely good luck with my wife's LX 470. 260k miles and have done almost nothing to it. Replaced alternator, radiator and one cv axle. It is a fine ride as expected.

There are so many assumptions in one single post....

Something to consider is that you have been meticulously maintaining your 80 for 11 years, and the 100 has only been yours for a year. I bet it's a game of catch up that you will soon hit a plateau and be perfectly happy with both of them as you catch up on maint.

When I got my 98 with 200k miles 3 years ago a lot of things needed attention, after about a year the random failures stopped. It's at 240k now and just finished up a 7500mile overland trip with only a bad taillight bulb and really hard wheeling at various stops.

I agree that once you hit the plateau of maintenence, you should experience less and less issues. You have to remember that at the oldest, the first 100 made in 1998 is 16 years old.

My 99 LX with 220k miles has been rock solid. I purchased at 146k miles and since then I've done 1 U-Joint, replaced 1 relay, and 2 coil packs.

I think that's it, roughly 75k miles and starting with a 146k rig (that was maintained well).

Things I'm not including are my initial baseline of fluids when purchased, and regular maint items such as brakes/tires/oil changes etc.

I couldn't be happier with it, and would drive across the country tomorrow worry-free.

Never understood these types of posts because they are anecdotal, non-scientific, void of any real engineering horsepower in its best form.

It's like asking strangers who's got the more committed wife/gf?

Mine!

I wouldn't hesitate to trust any land cruiser so long as it's been well maintained and in good steed. That's all folks.

I had two 80's for 7 years and now two 100's. I initially had more issues with the 80's but I take that against the way the POs took care of them. After the first 2 years both 80's were down to just maint items.

I have had no issues with the 100's, but I looked for ones with a good maint history

I agree, your experience doesn't make it so as it is a data point of one

3 100s for over 10 years and an 80 for 4 years. Both seam to be just as solid as the other. But I kind of anal when it comes to servicing them well before the book tells me to..

Since I bought my 100 last year from the dealership in Tempe, AZ, I've noticed from Mud (and with my own truck) a lot of failures of things (alternators, starters, tension pulleys, etc.) that seemed to be not a problem on 80's. In other words, 100's don't seem to be as durable, if that's the correct word, as do 80's. Although they certainly are more comfortable. My 80 has over 300,000 miles on it and is getting by just fine on new starter contacts, new alternator diodes, etc., rather than new starter, new alternator, etc., that 100's seem to need. Is that because most people take their 100's to the dealership and most 80 owners do the work themselves? Or is all of this simply my perception?
I really like the 100 but I've not-so-slowly been rebuilding it piece by expensive piece, as opposed to my $10,000 80 that I bought 11 years ago and it just chugs along, albeit it "chugs" along with meticulous maintenance, never letting me down.
Ned

Ned,
My best assessment is that you somehow got one of the outliers. Generally speaking, these trucks gladly accept an hellacious amount of abuse without requiring so quickly what has befallen that 100.

Given the actions required, it somewhat points to the possibility of water damage.(all seemingly electrical and all) Signs of this damage can be easily masked and honestly well enough to conceivably be missed by a mainline dealer. Not to say that is for sure, but I would certainly wonder if that happened to me when so many here have had such a diametrically opposite experience with their 100's. Myself included.
Best,
Jack

100s do have some quirks / maintenance items (outside of factory recommended) that need to be done at some point. But the engine and transmission are solid as anything ever built.

Starter - yes
Ignition cylinder in early years - yes
Cv boots every 100k - yes
Pulleys/tensioners - yes, I'd do every 90k
TPS/Throttle body in some years - yes
Driveshaft/slip yoke Maintenance - yes
Power steering rack every 150k - yes

The last 80 I tried to buy was pouring oil from every system with 200k on it. I believe Toyota is generally getting better at manufacturing vehicles, so they are probably more reliable as time goes on (save for new model years and all the emission crud that gets added every year).

Yes, I hear what you guys are sayin', but, for instance, the 100's water pump was leaking at around 150,000, but the 80's never failed, I simply changed it at around 250,xxx as a precaution. And, the ignition switch lock broke almost as soon as I bought it; it's a cheapee pot metal thing.
On the good side, it doesn't use any oil between changes; I run synthetic.
Don't get me wrong, I still love it, as does wifey, it's just that some of this stuff is a little disconcerting, that's all.
Thanks for all the comments.
Ned

Your leak could have been a lack of maintenance item. The water pump and timing belt are supposed to be changed every 90K miles.

It's all a game of preventive maintenance. There are certainly outlier situations, but so long as your engine performs reliably, you're better off than had you owned a Mercedes, BMW, land rover....

Toyota is the definition of world class quality. When they miss the market, it's function of occasionally bad design or marketing, but not execution of the build. The problems I hear in this thread are likely to be related to the maintenance approach of prior owners..

Bottom line, it's worth it to fix em knowing it's an aberration.

My mom's '99 is at 195k and the only actual problem it's had in its entire life is the fuel pump. (I replaced the alternator not too long ago just because I suspected the old one was getting weak).

It's all a game of preventive maintenance. There are certainly outlier situations, but so long as your engine performs reliably, you're better off than had you owned a Mercedes, BMW, land rover....

Toyota is the definition of world class quality. When they miss the market, it's function of occasionally bad design or marketing, but not execution of the build. The problems I hear in this thread are likely to be related to the maintenance approach of prior owners..

Bottom line, it's worth it to fix em knowing it's an aberration.

This.

I think we all have had friends with say an old Yaris that has transcended into the surreal when it comes to appallingly poor maintenance. Or whatnot.
Especially when purchasing used, there are simply going to be instances of previous owners treating these vehicles like red headed stepchildren. So to speak...

That said, the OP's issues well could be just the issues of a decade plus old vehicle, but I still cannot get out my thoughts water intrusion being a possible culprit.

Just for fun/ more info....

I had a 100 a couple years ago. Sold it with 280k. It was taken everywhere. Sold it to a guy who drove it from Columbia to the most southern part of Argentina.... I'd say they are pretty solid if you treat them right.

..... I own an 80 now.

image.jpg
130k miles looks and drives like a new vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom