1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durabak All Over?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by cwb, Mar 8, 2004.

1. cwb

cwb

I'm considering using Durabak as paint on my 60. This is pretty radical, I guess, since after I did it there wouldn't be any turning back, at least not easily. Anybody else done this to a 60/62? How's it look? Does it fade much? Regrets?

Also, what about Durabak as an interior tub liner? How does it do for sound deadening and for durability? Is Durabak better than Herculiner?

2. ClemsonCruiser

ClemsonCruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    I have not done the durabak to a 60, but I have done it to the exterior of my 40 and love it. I think the durabak is a great product I am personally very pleased with the results. I bought 2 gallons of their dark blue and rolled the whole exterior of my car in a few hours, and it was dried and ready to go the next day. As for the fading I haven't noticed any but it has only been on my cruiser about 4 months. Originally when I was going to let line-X do the exterior of my car but they wanted 1700 for it, a little out of my range. So I spent 200 on the durabak instead and got the pleasure of doing it myself. If you are looking for a tough skin for your cruiser and don't want to spend much for it go with Durabak, you want be sorry.

Good Luck
    JP

3. dd113

dd113

On my 62 I used 3M underbody spray from the main body line down. It looks good. I would not do the entire truck. I think the difficulty in keeping it even sorta clean would be too much. I like duraback for the underside but not interior or outside. It is not really abrasion resistant enough for the interior. I use herculiner there. On the outside I wanted somthing cheap that was easy to grind off when I crunch panels and need to fix them so I used the 3M.
    BTW: this is not the off the shelf 3M. It is there top o the line spray and runs around $15 a can. Took me 3 cans to do the 62. I think duraback would be abolut the same on the outside

4. miked

miked

i am getting ready to do the inside of the tub with the rustoleum 'kit'. i've heard that rustoleum makes them all, and that other companies re-brand it as thier own. i wonder if that is true. for the outside, i'm only going to do the fenders cuz, i just cant stop setting things there when i'm working on it.

i try to post pics if i can.

5. G-Cat

G-Cat SILVER Star

Albums:
    I used Durabak as a headliner in an FJ-40. I think the product is great. That said, I would not coat an entire vehicle. For one, I think it kills the re-sale value. There was a 40-series advertised in Texas for a couple of years. It seemed like a great truck/good price, but had been coated in dark green bed-liner. Many think that they would never sell their truck...but one day you may have to if not just to get into a Cruiser you like better.

Another issue is weight. If you wheel much, you should try to keep your truck as light as possible. An entire wagon coated in Durabak...I would think that would add some #s. (LSLC has a member who coated an FZJ-80 in black bedliner...jury's still out on that one)

Last, Durabak's surface is far from smooth. I would think that it would be very difficult to keep clean. Dust and dirt in every littlle crevace might get old fast.

Just opinions, of course.

6. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

I think the exterior coats are very very useful IF you wheel your vehicle a lot and you do not ever want to sell your vehicle to a non wheeler. It flat out looks wicked...gives it a very industrial, utilitarian look. I dig it BUT I would never do it unless I had very little money in my truck. Like you said, once you go there, there is no going back.

7. 72cruiser

72cruiser

dirt and dust true, but it doesn't weight that much more than paint honestly.

it does go on a bit thicker, but i would think we're talking 5-10 extra pounds, at the most. not a big deal unless you're nolen. :D

it's all about what you want on your cruiser. if it won't bother you to have a rough exterior, go for it. if it will, then don't.

also, the stuff is crazy chemical-resitant. last week my master cylinder/something (i haven't pinned it down yet, a little too lazy), started leaking down into the floorboard on the drivers side. we're talking break fluid. doesn't even hurt the stuff.

good luck deciding man, and remember, it's your truck.

malphrus

8. what about doing the floor of a FJ-40 in Rhino Liner? do you think that would be good? or what do you all think? i would be applying this over a new aluminum tub with the factory PPG paint smurf blue 8)

9. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
  10. BigSur

BigSur

I was thinking about putting this in my FJ60 instead of carpet? Remove all the carpet in padding in there now...needs to be replaced anyways and instead of new carpet go with Durabak.

Your thoughts? Stupid? Smart? Better sound proofing?

11. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=12794;start=msg117949#msg117949 date=1078859612]
    I was thinking about putting this in my FJ60 instead of carpet? Remove all the carpet in padding in there now...needs to be replaced anyways and instead of new carpet go with Durabak.

Your thoughts? Stupid? Smart? Better sound proofing?
    [/quote]

It's a decent idea. Maybe put down some rubber mat (locker-room style) cut to fit your cargo area. ??

Hell; I'd do it.

12. BigSur

BigSur

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=1;threadid=12794;start=msg117966#msg117966 date=1078861354]
    It's a decent idea. Maybe put down some rubber mat (locker-room style) cut to fit your cargo area. ??

Hell; I'd do it.
    [/quote]

Definetly put down a rubber mat or like i have now a rug that use to be in my house that was cut to fit my cargo area. My only concern would be what to do with the trim that goes on the floor? Like the crome trim in the cargo area, or the brown trim that goes in each of the bottom parts of the doors? Also, what would i do with the wiring that goes long the side's for the speakers and rear tail lights? Can i re-route those?

13. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I would use the trim as you see fit. If you don't need it; hell it's only "trim". If you can make it work with a replacement or substitute, then cool.

As for wiring. If you can't hide it by running it down and back along the side/trim or even up top; I've gone (via available holes) through the firewall and use wire "tubing" and run underneath the vehicle. You can get back in right under where you need to be and seal the re-entry spot with a silicone compound.

Just an idea.

14. or just put a black shrink wrap over the wires and glue them along the edges with like JB-weld