Dura Tracs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a few of you running GoodYear DuraTracs. What psi are you using? It is a load range E tire and calls for 80psi max load!!! This seems like way too much. I was running about 40 and am getting some vibrations. Just bumped it up to 50 today. We'll see what happens... :meh:

I've been running whatever the door sill placard calls for. I think 29 front, 32 rear.

how are the GY DT with factory recommended psi?

Jared26, how is the ride of the GY DT??? Do they ride smooth or are they bone jarring? I am contemplating buying a set within a few days, just need input as to the ride considering it is an E load tire.

So at 40psi, along with vibration, I was getting a little side wear, that's another reason I raised it to 50. These tires are a PITA!!! Doesn't 80 seem a little extreme??
So for normal driving, 285/75/16 GY DT's rated at 80psi max, what would you guys run?

35 psi

You are driving an E range tire meant to carry a heavy load. They will not be as complient as a stock LT. The vibration is not from the tires, or if it is, you have a problem. Mine are smooth running up to 90 mph.

I recently got a set of Duratracks 315/75/16 and since then have gone to Death Valley (1500 miles), and South East Utah (3000 miles) and I'm highly impressed. Very smooth ride, good traction on and off road, even OK in the rain. Good tires. I run them at 50 psi, but the tire store recommended 38 psi. I may compromise on 40 psi. I aired down to 18 on slick rock.

Regarding the vibration, you have some investigation to do. That is not a normal characteristic of the DuraTracs.

Understood, I rotated the tires today and the vibration changed from the rear to the front. I think it is a problem with one of the tires. I am going to a GY dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Other than the vibration I have had, I like the tires.

Maximum load at 80psi is 3750 lbs per tire.... or 15,000 lbs total!

I have had them for a few weeks now, and I think I have a balance issue with one of the front tires. Just haven't had time to get it looked at yet. Very wobbly at 45- 50 MPH. I THINK it's a balance issue, it better be :eek::

I had major balance issues on my Cooper Zeon LTZs (E Rated). Took them back to the tire shop and after Road Force balancing all is well...

Make sure your tire shop can (and will) do a Road Force balance.

Still early on for my DTs, and they have been smooth. They started out with a road force balance.

How about noise??? I was expecting them to be a little bit quieter from the reviews, but I am getting a pretty good hum starting around 50-60. Not exactly sure what to expect really after coming from the stock Bridgestone HTs. It has been a while since I listened to the hum of BFG MTs on my 55...

i think i'm running 36psi right now. i'm sure it could be higher though since these tires do seem fairly squishy for E-rated -- or maybe it has to do with 140k shocks, hmmm... we've had the DTs for about 8k and i think they're a good tire, i like them, they're a pretty savage looking tire:) they still look brand new, can't tell there's much wear at all. i might try upping the psi into the 40s tomorrow for a little 400mile trip we're doing to see how much it effects things like gas mileage and driving in the twisties.

balance wise, the shop seems to have done a decent job though there is quite a bit of weight on 2 of our tires. i was gonna see if they could do something about the eyesore of all that weight, but they're pretty smooth as is. they do have a bit of a hum to them, but that can be expected with the aggressive tread pattern. most of my hum is noticeable in the 50-60mph and on certain types of pavement but we don't mind.

i haven't taken the cruiser on any hardcore wheeling since I don't have sliders or a lift yet, but they seem to have handled everything i've thrown at it so far like 2' deep snow, roads in the 1st rain, wet roads, rutted dirt trails, a couple mud pits, cobble, wet grass hill, a few boulders, and road trips. the one thing i'm not sure about yet is the sidewall strength against punctures from branches or sharp rocks. there just hasn't been any reviews of that sort that i've seen since most wheelers would choose an M/T style tire with thicker sidewall protection.

As Andy mentioned, it is a E load rated tire. Running at lower pressures (e.g. what is printed inside the doorjamb) will not work with these. I have Silent Armors which are also E's at the size I run, and I keep them at about 42 PSI front and 45 rear. They do ride rougher, but I guess you gotta pay to play...

They are a little noisier than I thought after reading the reviews, but nothing terrible and still quieter then say BFG's and definately quieter than my old MT Baja Claws... I had a Roadforce balance done within the first couple weeks and it still didn't fix the problem. I live in the middle of nowhere and don't really trust the shops up here. Heading to a GY dealer today should do the trick.

As Andy mentioned, it is a E load rated tire. Running at lower pressures (e.g. what is printed inside the doorjamb) will not work with these. I have Silent Armors which are also E's at the size I run, and I keep them at about 42 PSI front and 45 rear. They do ride rougher, but I guess you gotta pay to play...

Why wouldn't it work? I run 29 / 32 per door jamb on my Cooper Zeon LTZs (E Range) and they ride great (for an E tire). Wear is very even so far and vibration is minimal.

I run 40PSI on the A/T's and they seem to always have a vibration. Starting to get annoying but oh well.

:meh:

Why wouldn't it work? I run 29 / 32 per door jamb on my Cooper Zeon LTZs (E Range) and they ride great (for an E tire). Wear is very even so far and vibration is minimal.
I have to agree here, maximum psi is not the same as minimum, or even recommended psi.

Jared26, how is the ride of the GY DT??? Do they ride smooth or are they bone jarring? I am contemplating buying a set within a few days, just need input as to the ride considering it is an E load tire.
I have no problems with the ride.

What is a Road Force balance? Is that a brand of balance machine?? Is it a technique?? Thanks, Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom