Dune wheeling near Sharjah UAE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was visiting Dubai UAE this week and pinged the Arabian Cruiser's too see if there was anybody planning to do some wheeling while I was there. It was a long shot but thought I would give it a go. In the end, I have become good friends with a really nice guy that goes by the alias - Desert Nomad. He has a sweet 200 and took me out near his home town Sharjah about 20 km north of Dubai city center.
IMG_20150204_151300.jpg

There are thousands of land cruisers in UAE - every other vehicle on the road seemed to be a LC - mostly brand new 200s. We were cruising during the week day so there were not too many wheeling when we were out. Sand is quite soft so it is most common to air down to 18 psi.
IMG_20150204_151729.jpg

Camels can't wonder too far since their front legs are tethered. Sultan told me that the head band that is part of the traditional keffiyeh or head scarf originated as a way to hold the tether until it was needed to tie off a camel. Over the years, it has become a part of the traditional clothing.
IMG_20150204_143046.jpg

We were just driving along between dunes and saw this small chick walking across the desert sand (not too hot because it is winter - probably 85f). We put her back but she probably didn't have too much time left.
IMG_20150204_150808.jpg

This is looking down the back side of this small mountain/rocky range. If you notice, there is a caravan of Land Cruisers - white. Must have been 30+. They are taking tourist on Dubai Safari's.

IMG_20150204_155656.jpg

Here is another shot of Desert Nomad's 200 on top of Fossil Rock.
IMG_20150204_160025.jpg

These were wild donkey. Not sure if you can see the albino one in the background. He is being blocked on another donkey.
IMG_20150204_145345.jpg

Here are a few videos - one is taking the hill and the other is sliding down the back side. Needless to say, there are probably a lot of vehicle roll overs in this region. I got lucky meeting Sultan. He is a very good, conservative driver. I felt very safe the entire time.

Thanks Desert Nomad for the great experience !!

Notice the look on the camel's face as we blast past them!

Last edited:
Larry - Awesome! Thanks for sharing the story and the pics and video. You can hear the 5.7 liter V-8 roaring in the video. It's pretty cool to be welcomed into a Land Cruiser community halfway around the world, just because we all drive the same trucks.

Very cool Larry!

Larry - Awesome! Thanks for sharing the story and the pics and video. You can hear the 5.7 liter V-8 roaring in the video. It's pretty cool to be welcomed into a Land Cruiser community halfway around the world, just because we all drive the same trucks.
I'ts the 4.6L V8 same as the tundra. I've de-catted it which is why you can hear it. Stock/brand new its sounds more like a vacuum cleaner.

Larry I've got a couple of videos here if you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKqApSE-ysPq3dG4FYWbZMPgYBpiYlG-E

And a link to my thread in the 200 forum. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hitting-the-uae-desert.612135/

Take care, it was great meeting you.

Last edited:
I'ts the 4.6L V8 same as the tundra. I've de-catted it which is why you can hear it. Stock/brand new its sounds more like a vacuum cleaner.

Larry I've got a couple of videos here if you're interested. Toyota 200: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKqApSE-ysPq3dG4FYWbZMPgYBpiYlG-E

And a link to my thread in the 200 forum. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hitting-the-uae-desert.612135/

Take care, it was great meeting you.
Very interesting experiences! Thanks for sharing, Larry and Desert Nomad!

Hey NM, next time you wanna go in Sweihan or Abu Dhabi deserts, gimme a ring. Always willing to go for a desert romp.

If you guys ever come to NM or Southern Colorado, drop as a note and you guys have a seat with us as well! I've got friends in Dubai, perhaps we will take a trip some day.

Graham

You are more than welcome for a sand bashing experience Graham. It would be a pleasure to organize a trip just for you guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom