Dune Driving with an FJ60: Is it doable?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I am planning a 4 day trip in the Namib Desert. To give you an idea what its about see the video:

I am really wondering if this is doable with my 1983 FJ60 (2F engine). All the guys either drive modern Cruisers, Hilux's, Jeeps or Patrols with big V6 and V8's. What do you think?

PS: car is loaded and weighs around 3 tons.

Thanks,

Oliver

Low tire pressure will be your best friend. You may have to take a different line than the others at times and bring along extra fuel. As long as you are in good running order you should be fine.

All day, every day!

:cheers:

Search "Surf & Turf" over in the trails/events forum. Or google. Lots of fun stuff...

Yep, one of my favorite things to do in my cruiser.

Frank

I've done it (years ago). As I recall, 4wd was a must, because in 2wd it would get stuck instantly, pretty much regardless of how or how fast I drove.

Also, air down, bring shovels and mats or ladders, and bring extra fuel.

bring extra water as well. I've seen one flip in Yemen. But it's tons of fun as long as you know what your limit and the rig's are.

Last edited:
Heavily loaded FJ60 + 2F motor + inexperience with sand + non-giant tires = Be Cautious!

A heavily loaded (or even empty) FJ60 is no dune buggy. Don't be lulled into thinking that just because a Jeep can drive the dune, the heavily loaded FJ60 can.

Due to limited horsepower and rpm, you will find that 2nd gear and (3600 rpm) is your only choice trying to climb a big dune.

Maybe play around on the edges of the dunes with easy exits to get a feel for how your cruiser handles in the sand. Try climbing some little stuff first that has an easy escape route. Definitely don't just drive up to a big non-exit dune crater and "go for it" without feeling very confident that you can get out... especially in Namibia. I'd walk it first.

Horsepower does matter.
The FJ60 sure as heck can not do what you see these newer Land Cruisers are doing below.

Last edited:
I did a trip in the Namib with my 2F prior to doing the 2F-e conversion. I got pretty far in most places but the really big dunes was too much for the 2F . Some of those dunes are over 100m high .
Had to take alternative route in a few places .
The guides are awesome so follow their lead.

The Mickey Thompsons 33" tyres were awesome - 0,6 bar . My fuel consumption was 3,8 km/l ( about 9 mpg)

Picture of me on the way down the slipface of a huge dune
faces_2012_1039_edited-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice pic, I like the round eye bar you have on, gives a nod to the fj40 heritage!

Get some sand practice in if you haven't already.
Air down, keep the momentum going and you'll be right.

What the other guys said is 100%, extra fuel and extra water, make sure you check your cooling system thoroughly before going.

Be careful not to saw on your steering wheel, you could be opposite lock and be going in a straight line.

I've played in similar dunes here in oz with the 2h, you'll be fine.

I forgot to add and this is a no brainer, keep your gps, or anything electronic with a screen out of direct sunlight. I had to learn the hard way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom