dune beige with black rims...Black trim, or white trim? (1 Viewer)

black or white trim (grill/headlight thing & top) on a Dune beige 40

• blacks OK as long as the rims are black

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • White! always white! no other color will do....

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • in this case either will be OK.

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm thinking I might Paint our 40. the planed color would be dune beige. I'm a big fan of Black rims so if we went with black rims, the question is would it be wrong to paint the oval headlight/grill thing, and the part of the top that is normally white, black?

Last edited:
I think it would be terrible to paint the top anything but the original gel coat color slightly off white, I think the grill on a dune beige cruiser should be lighter tan or grey, Hey you asked Larry

IMO, Black tops look kinda wierd, and I bet they get a LOT hotter as well. Just thinking out loud...

It is your cruiser and it is just a repaint if you dont like it.

...kinda chat.

Rezarf <><

and the part of the top that is normally white

Do not paint the fiberglass top black! Black only on rims & trim stuff. Mine is dune beige, mebbe you seen some pics of it. But I have leather brown mixed in on the cages, links, bumpers, etc. Most of my undercarrige is POR 15 semi gloss black.

I've got a dune beige now on stock rims (grey) and painted the bezel and cap arctic while instead of cygnus white for greater contrast.

I'd say go with the white and the rims will look fine with the white tires.

But I agree...it's your rig do what you want.

I would keep the bezel white along with the top. This sorta makes the LC's stand out. The two 40's I've got both have the tops white with the bezels black (PO). When weather warms up abit, I'll be painting the bezels to match the tops (orig. off white). My two cents........

Another fan of white tops and bezels. A black bezel doesn't look too strange especially with black rims, but a colored top really looks strange to me. Like everybody else says though, it's your rig, do what you like.

Black rims possible, black top noooooo.

I've seen lots of black tops up here and it works for some, not for others.

IT's YOUR TRUCK. DO WHAT YOU LIKE. It ain't like you can't change it later.

Do you take polls before chosing your socks each morning too? :) Your panties?

honk said:
I've seen lots of black tops up here and it works for some, not for others.

IT's YOUR TRUCK. DO WHAT YOU LIKE. It ain't like you can't change it later.

Do you take polls before chosing your socks each morning too? :) Your panties?

HAHA, No. I just like to know what the popular opinion is. Truth is I'll probobly end up selling it later on, so I would rather have it styled the way people like.....Plus wile I have it it will probobly be used for promotion, so haveing a rig that people like is a must, vs making an eye-soar ( like it is currently ).

Last edited:
I did a quick photoshopping cuz I was also testing out different possible colors for mine, the dune beige w/black rims and black top looks kinda weird. Some cars just don't look right with certain colors. But that's just my opinion.

Unless you're doing a full restoration, I dunno if the color would be a big issue, cuz it could always be repainted. Mine is the painted most hideous dark brown you can ever imagine, but that didn't stop me from getting it. Just makes me want to fix it up sooner so I can repaint it.

Hi All:

Having a buddy with a '79 FJ40 that was/is dune brown (aka tan) from the factory I can say that black is fine on trim pieces but would look weird on the hard top.

With that said, I have painted the betzel, running boards, bumpers, etc. on my FJ40 black, but hte body is blue, and top is a black soft top (when I run a top at all!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom