Dune Beige 416 help please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an original paint 1974 dune beige 40, and am going through top to bottom. Bought cruiser corps 416 dune beige rattle cans and tested an area and they’re not even close (way too greyish, no yellow tint at all). The body shop I buy supplies from said they can only mix base/clear. I want a single stage paint (I guess polyurethane??) or whatever to make touch ups easy. I’m open to rattle cans or something I can spray easily w gun and compressor. Any help appreciated!!! Thx!

6792CF3B-DC54-4E6B-AD13-2B692F1E2B65.png

Last edited:
I don’t have a specific place to recommend, but I know it can be done. You send them part and they spectrum analyze, match and put it into spray cans.

I used the little kick door in the cowl. I got mine 20 years ago, and it was around $120 for 12 cans

Find a local body shop supply place, there has to be more than one, they will be able to take the code and put it into a spray can, should be around 10 bucks. You probably could take a panel to them and they could match it and do the same.

Take your wiper motor cover off and go to Sherman Williams. They can match and mix you some metal paint and they sell the glass bottles with the aerosol attachment to spray the paint. I did fenders and some others until I get metal fenders, these were fiberglass.
WARY8533.JPG

The folks at 66Autocolor seem pretty reliable. I've spoken with them over the phone a couple times. They're helpful and ship fast. As MadMace mentioned, you can give them your 416 code and they'll mix single stage in a patented Spraymax rattle can. You can also send them a part and they'll scan it. They'll also ship bulk paint if you want to shoot with HVLP.

Color Match appears to be Nashville Auto Paint Jobber that might have a scanner.
1EDD5803-3B79-4F10-B48E-555AC1F6DDE0.jpeg

I have an original paint 1974 dune beige 40, and am going through top to bottom. Bought cruiser corps 416 dune beige rattle cans and tested an area and they’re not even close (way too greyish, no yellow tint at all). The body shop I buy supplies from said they can only mix base/clear. I want a single stage paint (I guess polyurethane??) or whatever to make touch ups easy. I’m open to rattle cans or something I can spray easily w gun and compressor. Any help appreciated!!! Thx!
I have been through this. Somewhere on this site there is a thread on this. I ordered dune 416 and it looked grey. Same code at tower paint and it is correct. There is a problem with this code. Pictures will show one and the other.

Dune Beige Grey.jpg

dune.jpg

Agreed. That’s why I go for the color scan.

one of the very first resto jobs I tackled at the shop over 25 years ago , my customer asked me to source him two gallons of 416. Being a lot younger and more naive than I am now, I agreed to do it.

Special ordered two gallons of 416, picked it up, brought it to the shop, put some on a part. Customer came by and said he didn’t like it, wasn’t going to pay me. Wasn’t correct. I pulled a used part off the shelf and sure enough, it wasn’t even close.

went back to the paint store to have a little ‘come to Jesus’ talk with the paint guy. Find out he got fired in the meantime. I asked the owner what I was supposed to do! He pointed me to the paint rack and said “knock yourself out!”

So I spent an hour CAREFULLY adding tint to the first gallon of paint until I was pretty sure I had it. Then mixed the second can up pretty quickly based on the formula I had come up with for the first. I was sweaty and sick to my stomach by the time I was done.

as fate would have it I was doing a cylinder head job on another 40 that had original 416 paint under the hood. When the customer came over, I swabbed some of my paint onto a spot under this guy’s hood where the paint had blistered off to bare metal. It was a match, and I got paid.

Lesson learned.

As stated above- a scan of your exact paint-not a color code from a chart-will be your best bet to match your truck.
A friend of mine has a system in his body shop.After a scan of my kick vent panel he mixed up a batch of red, based on the computer formula,that matched the 47 yr old Freeborn Red on my truck about as good as I could have hoped for.
The technology is well worth taking advantage of.Any competent body shop/auto body supply house should have a scanning system.Paint manufacturers supply them with the units.

Sounds good thank you. Have always been a little skeptical of the computer match, guess I shouldn’t be. Will take my fuel door and try it out. Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom