"Dumpster" the chronicles of a wannabe 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
Well the cat is officially out of the bag. After a few weeks of needing to wrench just to get to work I took a plunge into a hopefully more reliable Land Cruiser.

Firstly you should read:
https://jalopnik.com/the-2016-lexus-lx-570-is-a-big-lumbering-idiot-mobile-a-1785727282

This article basically summarizes Ratpuke's feelings on the vehicle... at least at first.

The truck:
2009 Lexus LX570 with ~120k km on the clock
Spent some time in many of our provinces already from the center of the universe to BC and now alberta. This means the undercarriage is a little corroded but it isn't terrible.

Dealer ship was a but iffy but it had recently passed and out of province inspection and went through a Lexus pre purchase inspection. Seems reasonably solid mechanically.

Plan is for a Day of Baselining fluids and the overall truck this weekend so if you'd like to crawl through a 200 series chassis come on over for beer and complex Land Cruiser maintenance...

I hope this works out.

Plans are smaller rims, bigger tires, and armor to make it look the part of its Land Cruiser heritage and less LEXUS pretentious. Dont have good pics yet but those will come.

Well I went to Lexus south point today to buy some suspension fluid. Imagine.... suspension fluid.

Word is you should change it every 100k miles but I was worried about horror stories of people topping up with brake fluid and ruining stuff.

28 bucks a litre and I flushed 4 through this thing. Pretty neat to watch the suspension cycle up and down. It’s seems to cycle a little better now and fluid looks clear and bright. First few drops were grey looking.

I also adjusted my front height sensors to level out the rig. Or in Lexus speak... installed a 1” leveling kit with 2 x 10mm wrenches in less than 2 minutes.

36EAC558-1727-48AC-A53B-9B23D79945BF.jpeg

Down in Utah my good buddy ol pal Dustin picked me up some new swanky wheels.
Rock warrior trd wheels. Going for a look like this
upload_2018-8-30_20-3-55.jpeg

They’re 17s instead of the awful dubs I’m Rollin in now.

For sale: dubs

too bad those dubs are 5 bolt; i could use them in my 77... dubby 77. I hope Dustin's wheels do not come cursed.

can't wait until you do the rear heater vent fluid, I heaer it's a tough job.

Last edited:
I should be out sometime Saturday with the goods.
Question.
Do I have to wear a polo shirt, khakis and tie a sweater around my neck? Cause I don't have any of those so I'll need some time. I think I have some boat shoes though...:hillbilly:

I should be out sometime Saturday with the goods.
Question.
Do I have to wear a polo shirt, khakis and tie a sweater around my neck? Cause I don't have any of those so I'll need some time. I think I have some boat shoes though...:hillbilly:

^ funny, I thought I saw some Tommy Bahamas and J Crew flyers in your shop that one time I was there.

^ funny, I thought I saw some Tommy Bahamas and J Crew flyers in your shop that one time I was there.

I honestly don’t know what either of those are

If we weren't leaving for Rocky today I'd head out to see this monster. Another time, I'm sure its got decades of reliable locomotion left in it! Have fun. I think you skipped a series though, no Hundy in the fleet yet! In Cruiser Math does owning a 45+55=100series?

So I sorta had a busy weekend on the old dumpster mobile. When i picked it up it was dirty and after a bath i noticed it had some superficial scratches and such on it. I wanted to correct those and clean it up some more. I looked into getting a professional exterior cut and polish on it. Turns out that can be pretty pricey. Then I reached out to Jon about it and he recommended do it yourself with 3M products. So that’s what i did. Pricey stuff, but was worth it. Worked wonders.

These are a coupe shots after the polish, it removed all sorts of defects from the paint and its looking much better.
68FE2DCA-FC62-428B-86A6-5D82E2F80BE6.jpeg
025698C6-FFA1-4500-A3F9-35186E51041A.jpeg

Then to recover from all the prettying up of the dumpster Dustin brought some new wheels for me. Those were mailed to new tires and mounted...
CFED9E7A-B52D-46DF-8A01-EC3D8602CBE5.jpeg

After that it was time to go wheeling, we took it to the sand trails near by and fooled around a bit. After watching many YouTube videos on the crawl control i was excited to see it in action in sand, In the videos guys bury their truck to the rials and cant power any direction, then they proceed to put it into crawl control and walk right out. We found a sand hill and got it stuck enough I couldn’t move forward or back.... threw it in crawl and much to my amazement it walked right out... it takes some time but eventually self extracted... way cool so cool we had to try 2 more times..
3D0ADF11-0AC3-44E4-B82C-B32EC9B44D6D.jpeg

B46AB992-C5DB-42D1-BA22-26784ED0B01E.jpeg

2E0BDBCA-8EC9-415C-8B2D-24EFB3BD1D0E.jpeg

Nice work T. Looks really good with the new wheels and tires mounted! I followed a lx470 home from Red Deer this eve. Nice looking suv in a wicked muted green I've never seen before.

So I sorta had a busy weekend on the old dumpster mobile. When i picked it up it was dirty and after a bath i noticed it had some superficial scratches and such on it. I wanted to correct those and clean it up some more. I looked into getting a professional exterior cut and polish on it. Turns out that can be pretty pricey. Then I reached out to Jon about it and he recommended do it yourself with 3M products. So that’s what i did. Pricey stuff, but was worth it. Worked wonders.

what 3m stuff did you use?

5C88CBEF-E562-41EF-B860-DD11DC25C009.jpeg

These are a coupe shots after the polish, it removed all sorts of defects from the paint and its looking much better.View attachment 1785534View attachment 1785535

Um...Who are you...? :grinpimp:

AE3976DD-66E1-4052-8658-C2DE4D3A0BCE.jpeg
2929EC43-28BD-4233-927E-979AA4E8E5E9.jpeg
ADF67F8D-DBA8-4DCF-A85C-F530045BE26E.jpeg
75A131FD-E8AA-4F4F-9BA4-87F271A08C10.jpeg
Well I got busy tonight making some rear storage and rigging an elevated dog platform. The pups have been stuck in the back behind the second row. This should let them see out and like it a bit better. It’s modeled after the drifts 200 series option. Has 2 drawers and will have a stow away table above the second drawer. More room than I need for sure. It’s also the same height ish as the second row in folded flat mode. Likely cover it in carpet similar colour to interior to keep it classy.

View attachment 1788301 View attachment 1788302 View attachment 1788303 View attachment 1788304 Well I got busy tonight making some rear storage and rigging an elevated dog platform. The pups have been stuck in the back behind the second row. This should let them see out and like it a bit better. It’s modeled after the drifts 200 series option. Has 2 drawers and will have a stow away table above the second drawer. More room than I need for sure. It’s also the same height ish as the second row in folded flat mode. Likely cover it in carpet similar colour to interior to keep it classy.

That looks good. I saw a smart way to lock those drawers that was so simple; done by a plastic buckle if you give me a day or two I'll find the thread.

f you're going to order carpet in bulk let me know.

Wait, isn't this the guy who used to give us 80 guys hell for driving a cushy wagon? haha
Shes a sweet rig man, I am looking forward to seeing the updates!
I have been thinking about the baby LX, GX for Tori over the next couple years. Might have to utilize you guys to help sell me on the idea :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom