Dumping the original tcase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mattison-consulting.com
I looking for suggestions on a good replacement for my tcase.
I run a 700r4 and the adapters etc. to mate it up to FJ40 Tcase are to complicated for me. Plus it is noisey and leaks.

I want to keep the axles but, as mentioned remove the adapters and lengthen the rear driveshaft.

What are your suggestions... As a side note, I don't wheel the things... its a daily driver.

jack

Hi All:

That is easy, switch to the later "split" t-case (1980-89.)

These are much stronger, and quieter than the old style one-piece t-cases.

Contact "Advance Adapters;" I'm sure they sell an adapter to mate the 700R4 to the "split" t-case.

Regards,

Alan

Unless your lucky and find a rare split case with the hand brake on th back you going to have to figure a hand brake out if you switch to the split transfer case.

I think you would be better off to rebuild the one you have, they are good strong t-cases and not very complex.

I think you would be better off to rebuild the one you have, they are good strong t-cases and not very complex.

Strong??? Adequate, is probably closer to the truth.

Why not just go with the Orion? They make a 3:1 low range ratio which is has more reasonable ratios for those who don't need a ton of low range gearing. My experience is that they are strong and quiet.

You would use the same adapters you have now and would not need to make any other modifications.

Seems like any other options besides the TLC split case and you are now dealing with an offset rear diff and a center output t-case so unless you plan to also make changes to ther rear diff/axle. The toyota cases or Orion are the way I'd go.

Last edited:
All the chevy t-cases would have a centered output, so unless you are willing to change out your rear axle, I would just get your existing case rebuilt. It's plenty stout for daily driving.

for a daily driver and keeping it simple, grab a gm tcase that will bolt to your 700r4. There were lots of np205s compatible with this tranny. If you center you rear driveshaft output, you'll need a centered rear axle. Since you don't wheel the truck, an early mini truck rear would be a good swap. The WMS is pretty much the same as the 40. The IFS is 3" wider.

...a good replacement for my tcase.
...the adapters etc. to mate it up to FJ40 Tcase are to complicated for me
...I want to keep the axles but remove the adapters and lengthen the rear driveshaft

You can't keep the axles as they are, have a Chevy automatic and eliminate the adaptors. If you get a centered rear end you could do it, or if you use a Toyota automatic and a split case you could do it with a split case and parking brake kit.

You didn't mention your engine. If you're not going to cut your fenders, it might be easier to move the engine forward than to move the axle backwards to increase your rear driveline length. If you don't wheel it much a short driveline might not be that bad.

Adequate, but how do they compare to a Chevy or ford one. Are they more adequate then the others he is considering.

Chevy & ford will have a center rear output & are stronger depending on which model t/case you chose. Most fords have a drivers side frt output. I prefer gear driven cases. Of course you should center the rearend w/a center rear output t/case. The FJ40 has a offset rear output along w/the Dana model 18 case in old jeeps. IMO, offset rear outputs suck. I think it's a weak design. That's why they offer, a tcase saver,which can help or go to an orion. He says he will be using his L/C for street use, so he should be fine. I guess a 700r4 would have had a np241 bolted to the back of it, which has decent strength & the frt output would be chain driven. I would imagine the trans/tcase setup would be pretty long.

If it's just for street use, why don't you just hook the 700r4 straight to the rear end and let the next owner work out the math for a transfer case?

You won't be the first.

Best

Mark A.

Mark that is horrible! it hurts my head and heart.

Geez, the Toyota t-case and its Orion variant are the essence of simplicity with almost 50 years of reliablilty that would make any automotive engineer proud. I say work with it.

Changing the rear end is not the end of the world. All I have to do is find something strong with matching gears. I have the 3:70 or whatever gears.. Not that I love the knuckles in the front they leak and rebuilding those is a pain... I am getting ready to redo those. Bottomline.. I will probably have to stick with what I have and make it work out. This driveline config has not been the most satisfying experience..

Mark that is horrible! it hurts my head and heart.

It does however have a certain track record for getting people off the fence.;)

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom