Dumb questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, first let me apologize for my ignorance but, I have a couple of questions.
1) In certain posts some people say the bezel is upside down. How can you tell or is it a joke? Mine looks the same either way?
2) when testing the wiring on your rig with a volt meter, what setting do you use. 20 AC.?

1) Its not a joke. Mine is upside down (look at my Avitar) its thicker on the bottom. The thicker part should be on the top. I don't know what year yours is, but there are Bezels that are the same top and bottom. They probably had the machine set wrong and it took them a few years to figure it out (LOL).

2) The electrical system on a vehicle is DC. A DC voltage is one measured to ground and its voltage is at a steady value, except for peaks and drops for current draws. An AC volatge is what is used in your house where the voltage is more of a sine wave (Think roller coaster).
Don't know what meter you have, but in most items are 12 Volts is the max. You want to pick the voltage setting on your meter that will give you the most accurate reading. Example, if you set it to 25V and are measuring a 12Volt signal you will be able to tell the difference bewteen 11, 12 and 13. If however, you are looking at a 1V signal, you won't be able to tell if its off by 10 or even 20%. Here you would use a 2.5V setting. The short of my long winded explanation is that the setting is equivelant to picking the scale.

Hope this helps - Ken

I should mention that the ohms setting is very valuable. When signals are tied together you should get less than 1 ohm. All grounds are essentially tied together. So, if you want to make sure a signal, light bulb, etc. has a ground connection, place one lead on the frame of - battery terminal and the other on the signal in question.

this is a pic of my meter, would this one work?

Do not see any reason why it would not....for many troubleshooting issues...

Both your 71 and your 75 should have assymetric bezels. In 1962-1963, the thicker part of the bezel had "Land Cruiser" stamped into it. Thus, if the thicker part was placed at the bottom, the "Land Cruiser" would be upside down. Also, if it is placed correctly, the "Toyota" emblem that is affixed to the grill will only be centered up and down if the bezel is on rightside up. (Note: Romer's grill has no "Toyota" emblem, so you don't see the assymetry).

Here is an example of Ehsan (who posts here) from Pakistan's reproduction of the stamped bezel.

Here is an upside down bezel from an ad on Ebay. Note that there is more space between the top of the "Toyota" than the bottom inside the bezel.

For most of what you need to do the VDC setting of 20Volts should work. When you switch over to ohms, touch the two leads together to test and the needle should point to 0.

Dave knows about Upside down Bezels. He busted me for mine. I think Dianna called him one of the Bezel police. Sorry Dave, just testifying to your qualifications. The PO drilled wholes in the thicker part for the license plate. Thats why I added, "I like my Bezel upside down" It looks better that way then with two blank holes on top.

Some call us "Bezel Nazis." :flipoff2:

Of course, it is sort of like ex-smokers or ex-drinkers. We become fanatical.

IDave has 1188 posts, wonder how many of those were him busting someone for their bezel! ;) I think I warned you Romer before IDave got to you!

[quote author=Dianna link=board=1;threadid=9564;start=msg83868#msg83868 date=1073112636]
IDave has 1188 posts, ...
[/quote]
He's trying to catch up with Bailey (Cruisinga) ;)
Ton

Oh, someone noticed! I am so pleased. The word of the bezel is getting out! (He says with the fervor of the new religious convert.)

(BTW, that's Wolfie's tongue. He's licking his lips. You'll just have to guess what he just ate!)

also 79-83 bezels are square and are the same either way......expect that there is a right side up.....if it's upside down the cut outs for the headlight adjustments would be in the wrong spots, ie on the bottom not the top

28518500.jpg

Really! Never new that, John. More fuel for the fire!

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=9564;start=msg83931#msg83931 date=1073145585]
Really! Never new that, John. More fuel for the fire!
[/quote]

the inner adjustment cut out would be the same just the upper one would be wrong........not that I have ever put one on up-side down :D

and you can still get new OEM square bezels for $100 from Toyota.......yet another reason square bezels kick ass :D

[quote author=Dianna link=board=1;threadid=9564;start=msg83868#msg83868 date=1073112636]
IDave has 1188 posts, wonder how many of those were him busting someone for their bezel! ;) I think I warned you Romer before IDave got to you!
[/quote]

Yes you did warn me and the very next post had a picture of the wolf with his tongue sticking out. I wonder if the tongue out is to say "nah nah your busted!"

You know, I'd fix it but it adds a little excitment to the board, besides with my custom bumper the license plate mounting to the Bezel works. Colorado requires a front and rear license plate.

If this is the worst transgression I make with my FJ40, then I think I'll be OK.

Ken

Romer, I think you should turn your bezel right side up and let the license plate be upside down! It will deflect bugs for you, too.

:doh: I just realized after reading this thread my bezel is upside down, not that it's that big of a deal. You know, I bought my cruiser last Aug. just a couple blocks from Rocky Mountain Cruiser's new location, and romer seems to go there quite a bit, maybe this upside down bezel thing is special to Colorado. :flipoff2:

yeah, yeah, that's it! We are trend setters! Hey if I turned my Bezel upside down they could read my plate when I roll over!

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom